Rice and noodles??? can u eat them??

Mojen
on 8/31/12 4:12 pm - IA
VSG on 08/14/12
My husband is Nigerian and we have a lot of meals with rice and I was wondering was anyone out there ever able to do rice or noodles again?

I'm not obsessing about it and I don't mind subbing for the most part.  I just wondered if it will even be  a possibility.  We also love Italian food. I guess I'm just wondering if I'll ever enjoy food again.  Not over eat but enjoy .Right now I don't care that much about food just get sick to easy.  I'm two-weeks out will be three weeks out next Tuesday.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.   Thank you

P.S.  Ohhh I know I sound all kinds of scatterbrainedlol but on a good note I have lost 41lbs so far. Yea!!
happyteacher
on 8/31/12 4:24 pm
 Congrats on your loss!

Yes, I am easily able to eat either- but choose to rarely eat those items.  A few noodles in a cup of chicken noodle soup perhaps, or like tonight I had maybe a tablespoon of rice with the szechuan shrimp.  Pasta and rice is not so great on the glycemic index and I try to avoid food that trigger a lot of insulin production.  Not that I am perfect about that, but I do try.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

loverofcats
on 8/31/12 4:36 pm
 To be quite honest, I could eat anything that I want, but I choose not to eat bread, rice, pasta, white potatoes. I would rather eat protein first, veggies, and a small amount of healthy complex carb such as yam or quinoia. WLS is a lifestyle change, and for me, my lifestyle change doesn't involve these foods, but they weren't a large part of life prior to surgery, so I don't miss them. Small amounts of anything won't put the weight back on, but you need to be aware of portion size and eat a small amount on a occasional basis, but I would wait until maintenance or very close to it. JMHO.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

frisco
on 8/31/12 5:00 pm

Every once in a while..... someone shows up here or at my support group and says.....

"Ya know.... I'm Italian.... and we eat Pasta.... It's part of our culture"..... "We eat..... It's a family thing"

This really strikes a nerve with me........

News Flash !!!!

Most every culture has some sort of Carby Staple !!!!!

And as Americans we are exposed/cultured to EAT EVERYTHING from EVERY CULTURE......

I'm picking on Italians cause it seems to be the most common....... But.......

I always have to chime in and call them out......

My line is (I'm Asian):

"Do you think Pasta and Bread is more important to you and your culture than Rice and Noodles is to mine?"

I always get the "Oh..... You got a point"

That said, I eat some carbs in Maintenance...... I use a ratio of 3-2-1 when I eat carbs......less than 80grams per day.

- 3 parts protein
- 2 parts veg
- 1 part carb

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

EliseG
on 8/31/12 7:18 pm - MA
This.
My family is from Ireland, and I was pretty sure I couldn't live without potatoes. I haven't had potatoes since surgery, because I choose not to.
Physically, could I eat them? Sure, but they have no place in my diet right now.

rhearob
on 8/31/12 5:26 pm - TN
 Can I eat them - Yes.

Do I - Yes, now that I am in maintenance (I have had some rice and bread - no noodles yet).

Would I have had them during weight loss - NO.

>.

High protein foods also prompt your body to release glucagon.  Glucagon is a hormone that encourages your body to release fat into the blood stream.  This is goodness - especially during weight loss.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

FloridaVSG
on 9/1/12 3:58 am - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Not sure what we would do without you on OH
Pre-op/HW: 302- SW (7/16/2012): 296 lbs- GW: 160-150 lbs. Month 1: -32 lbs.- Month 2: -16 lbs.
www.theskinnygirlinsideofme.blogspot.com  

cajunlady1958
on 8/31/12 7:04 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I am 4 months out and I can eat 2 tablespoons of roce and the only noodles I eat are the ones on chicken noodle soup. I choose not to eat a lot of carbs because it just makes me want more. And I live in louisiana and everything down here involves rice in some way, shape, or form but I knew that I would have to change my mindset before I even had surgery. Congratulations on you weight loss.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

comeundone
on 8/31/12 7:48 pm - OH
I eat both rice and noodles on a regular bases but only after my I get in most of my protein.
HW 289  SW 242

rainyone
on 8/31/12 8:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I've had both. I tolerate them easily. I don't eat much of them but like a tbsp or two of rice. I'm 5 months out and 84 lbs down.  I'm not excluding anything at this point. Limiting , yes. Excluding no. I have some issues with bread unless it is toasted and really do avoid it because I don't like the way it sits.

My issue with weight gain is portion size. If I have issues I can revisit but this works for me.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views