A...Hmmm.. regularity?

danzeppelin
on 9/14/12 7:04 am
VSG on 08/15/12
Is anybody....regular...post OP? And if so, what are you doing to BE regular? I mean the milk of magnesia thing works, but tastes like bad sardines. The nut says I'm taking in too much protein, but I'm only taking in about 80gr. I think I'm getting in good dietary fiber? Plenty of water...
Maybe I am protein bound?

AdeanaMarie
on 9/14/12 7:13 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Colace, a stool softener is a great friend of mine. I take one in the morning and 2 in the evening. I now go once a day or every other day. If I go more than 3 days I up the dose or take a laxative, Ducolax for women.

At first it is a bit of a guess what will work for you and I had a couple miserable weeks and painful ones too. But now , all is well.

Hope the Colace can help. I just buy the generic from Walmart in the two pack. Cheapest one I have found so far.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

sleevegirl
on 9/14/12 7:15 am - Austin, TX
This is a problem for a lot of us. I had this problem pre-op as well and ended up with a fissure (and surgery for that). Trust me, take care of it now. LOL

I use Miralax every morning. Just shake it into my first bottle of water. I also mix in a serving of FiberSure some days with my cottage cheese snack or whatever. I take 2 Colace per day when I think I'll need it.

Miralax EVERY morning though. It's non-habit forming according to my surgeon and PCP so... whatever works.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

louisamay
on 9/14/12 7:29 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I've always had this problem and still have it.  Don't have a solution yet.

For a few weeks simply taking Colace daily (as others here have recommended) was enough for me, though it meant I was "going" a lot.  But it also meant I was going, and it was soft, and better than the alternative.

For no reason I could discern I suddenly got backed up, really backed up, and the colace wasn't working.  And I had to use a laxative.  Not fun. That day was... not fun.

That has happened to me twice recently.

So yeah, still looking for the magic bullet.

One thing--we all have different digestive systems and what works for one person may not work for you.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

rhearob
on 9/14/12 8:06 am - TN

Miralax.  Fibercon.

You want to be careful with some laxatives - you can be come dependent on them and then have to retrain your bowels.  Also, not all fiber supplements are created equal - many have soluble finer in them or gels that carry caloric content.  You could take in extra calories and not realize it.

Those are good, you can mix them with your morning drink or shake.  They have insoluble fiber in them that your intestines can use to push against.  I've never heard of the protein bound thing, sounds a bit fishy to me.

With the fibercon or miralax, you need to drink extra water - it will absorb quite a bit.

Also, walking a lo****er, warm green tea.  Those can all help too.

Once I got to maintenance and was able to incorporate more calories with more fiber into my diet the regularity issues went away completely.  Until then, Miralax att least 2x a week kept me "on the go".

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Marie M.
on 9/14/12 8:08 am - PA
I take Colace every day and that helps, but constipation is a definite problem on the VSG diet.  Was never constipated a day in my life until post op VSG

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

danzeppelin
on 9/14/12 2:32 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
Thank you all... I am definitely gonna invest in some product...

INgirl
on 9/14/12 2:41 pm
80g protein is great, I wouldn't drop it. I stayed 70+ the whole time.. but 80 is great.

On the other issue: Miralax (or the generic of it) is very safe and non-habit forming and can be used for long-term issues.. however, with time I figured out that calcium was the main issue causing mine, so I switched to a cal supplement that had magnesium oxide in it too- that fixed matters.. in fact it fixed them well enough I needed to take my morning calcium as straight cal citrate to counteract the mg in the others.. now that I've run out of the blended caps, I use cal citrate and a mg formula (oxide is the laxative one) and things go great..

For fiber- I use chia seeds hydrated in a big shaker of water.. a couple T a day gives fluid to my guts, and bulk, and things move very well.. It works much better than any other fiber I've tried.. and I think chia seeds are fun to eat too. I mix them in yogurt for a crunch at times.. but mostly just drink them.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views