Dehydration ?

Valarie L.
on 10/6/12 12:33 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
I had my surgery on Tuesday and was released on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday I was able to get over 60 ounces of fluids in with no problems, but I have noticed that my urine is quite dark.

I know that is a sign of dehydration, but I have been able to get my fluids and i feel good.

Should I be concerned?

LeighAnne89
on 10/6/12 12:52 am - KY
 It sounds like you should be just fine I am 2 months out and still can't get in 60 oz of water. Are you taking iron pills? If so then that's why it is so dark if not then call you doctor and see what they think to be on the safe side.

Ohiogirl
on 10/6/12 4:25 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Sounds like you are doing great!  I just came home yesterday - had hypertension and slow heart rate issues - still having some diarrhea too - had sleeve on Tuesday.  So far I only have 24 ounces of liquid in today but I keep sipping.  

Can I ask  - how much protein are you getting in at this point?  What are you using for your liquids - I'm tired of drinking already - like warm things better but so much sodium in chicken broth and i don't like coffee or tea -I  do get in some hot chocolate.  How many carbs are you doing? 

I am mostly stunned at much fluid has accumulated from the IV's.  I know I wasn't supposed to weigh when I got home but of course I did - Oh my!!!!!  12 lbs of fluids!!!  Are you in the same boat??

Let me know your routine - interested in how the other Oct 2 sleevers are doing.  I'm an oldie so i'm not moving too quickly - but I do walk my 3-5 minutes an hour, do my spirometer and keep track of vitamins, liquids and protein.  

Doesn't sound like you are dehydrated if you are getting in 60 ounces - my program says at least 48 or more  the first week  so 60 should be okay.

Paula
Valarie L.
on 10/6/12 4:53 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
My belly is swollen, but as far as fluids from the IV I didn't have any weight gain.  My scale is showing a loss of about 7 pounds as of today.

I am no****ching carbs at this time.  My biggest concern at this point is getting in my fluids and some protein.  I have things like sugar free popsicles, frozen greek yogurt, sugar free jello, sugar free fudge pops, and cream of wheat, I have tried soup, but don't like the flavor anymore,

For protein I am having one or two shakes a day.  I really like the Unjury Chicken broth, it is very soothing and has 21 grams of protein.  

I don't measure the water as I consume I just know how much my bottles hold and strive to drink over 60 ounces.  Everything else I measure.

Good luck, lets keep in touch.

Valarie

5'9"  HW - 295   SW - 270   CW - 201

Ohiogirl
on 10/6/12 5:15 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 Seriously - you did not gain any weight from fluids?  I am so bummed - still up 10 lbs from surgery date!! and my hands, legs and belly are swollen!! 

Your diet sounds good.  I am not allowed to have jello (under any cir****tances according to my manual),no yogurt (every thing has to be able to fit through a stirrer straw - so not even cream soups) certainly no cream of wheat or fudge pops.  You have many more choices.  I do have the unjury chicken soup but haven't tried it yet - I looked - has too much sodium since I a still having blood pressure issues and so much swelling.  I am pretty limited to sugar free popsicles (which add to my diarrhea), broth, protein drinks, water, gatorade, diluted cranberry juice, sugar free hot chocolate - so it is boring - I have to stay on full liquids til I go back to dr on Oct 18, so I will definitely be sick of these things by then.

Yes, lets keep in touch.  Good luck - I hope to see some loss soon - at least to get back to surgery day weight, lol.  

Margaret.hollar
on 10/7/12 5:03 am - NC
You sound great...I can't get that many fluids in...sleeved September 28. I add protein shots to water and add unflavored yogurt to broths. I don't eat soup at all at least not pre surgery so this has been difficult. I tried tomato basil from Jason's Deli yesterday and it was almost a religious experience. Brought most of it home and had more today after putting it in the magic bullet since it was kind of chunky. This liquid diet seems to be the most difficult part so far. I feel great enough after surgery to walk a mile each day! I am trying, at the advice of two bypass and one vsg vets to go by how I feel bf I go by the regs. The guidelines are important but we are different people with different palettes and different bodies!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views