Someone know the answer to this crazy question

Michael L.
on 10/22/12 8:54 am - Fall River, MA
I am 12 days post op. I think that when you have lots of extra time on your hands you wonder about dumb things. Hope this isn't too dumb.

I was always under the impression that while losing weight, it exits and vanishes from your body by Bowel Movements, Urine, Sweat, and who knows.. maybe little magic elves who steal it while your asleep then sell it on the black market?

Now I'm 12 days out and about to do my first weigh in on Wednesday. I haven't noticed much sweat, BM's, or any urine, more than normal.
I know probably did pretty well just cause of the way clothes feel? But can someone tell me how the weight falls off if you don't t notice much of those other things.

As crazy as this sounds, I'm very curious. Hopefully I explained the phenomenon properly so that you understand what I'm asking.

My Journey Blog: www.lessofmike.com

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

jacreasy
on 10/22/12 9:10 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 lol no dumb questions on here!! However Im down 113 lbs and would like to know that answer myself! I think its the elves and the black market! I want some money..

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Happycat2
on 10/22/12 9:14 am - NC
 My vote goes to the elves.
debk21
on 10/22/12 9:25 am - Mansfield, TX
Someone recently asked me "Where did it all go?"  I didn't know how to answer that.  Must be the elves...I'd like to know too.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

hollykim
on 10/22/12 9:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Our bodies break down the stored fat to use for energy to operate our bodies daily activities and life. Our bodies stored that fat for that very purpose to begin with,but we fed our bodies so much ready energy,they never had to break and storage fat down.

When we have WLS,our calories drop so drastically,that our bodies are finally forced to burn that stored fat for energy. that burning fat stores equals weight loss.

That is also why eating too much white cars and fruit carbs can slow down some ppls loss. It is ready fuel and our bodies will use that ready energy before going to the trouble of converting stored fat to energy.

GL

Kevin H.
on 10/22/12 9:46 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Your body is using it as fuel rather then the ice cream sundaes your probably used to eating.  Thats where it goes lol.

Michael L.
on 10/22/12 9:53 am - Fall River, MA
On October 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Kevin H. wrote:
 Your body is using it as fuel rather then the ice cream sundaes your probably used to eating.  Thats where it goes lol.
Sorry Kevin but I'm lactose intolerant. Lol

hw 500  sw 462  cw 383     

Kevin H.
on 10/22/12 10:39 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

Janetisshrinking
on 10/22/12 9:52 am
 Scientific America.com says:

People who are overweight or obese--as roughly 66 percent of American adults are--possess large fat cells brimming with triglyceride fuel. When trimming calories and/or increasing exercise during weight loss, the enzyme hormone-sensitive lipase, located within fat cells, responds to hormonal messages and disassembles triglycerides into their component glycerol and fatty acids. These components then slip out of the fat cells and into the bloodstream, where they are accessible to tissues throughout the body. The liver preferentially absorbs the glycerol and some of the fatty acids--the remainder of which is taken in by muscle.   Once inside liver or muscle cells, the triglyceride ingredients are further disassembled and modified, eventually resulting in large quantities of a compound called acetyl-CoA. Within the cells' mitochondria--the powerhouses of the cells--the acetyl-CoA combines with the compound oxaloacetate to form citric acid. This synthesis kicks off the citric acid cycle (or Krebs cycle), a set of chemical reactions that creates usable energy from fat, protein and carbohydrates. As these mitochondrial activities unfold, they generate carbon dioxide, water and heat, as well as adenosine triphosphate (ATP), an energy-carrying molecule that fuels cellular activities.
slimpickins5280
on 10/22/12 10:20 am - CO
Fat stores are evacuated from the body through urine, bowel movements, sweat, and saliva (i.e. talking, breathing).

This is one of many reasons why water is important. If you body thinks it is dehydrated it will not let go of the fluid it has which means it will not let go of the fat.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views