5 days post op question

dlwfarm
on 11/23/12 7:07 am

I had surgery on Tuesday morning (a vertical sleeve).  I am on clear fluids only for 2 weeks.  I am having lots of gas in my new stomach as well as burning.    I'm taking the prescribed 20 mg of Pepcid twice a day.  I found out I can't drink fruit juice as it hurt my new stomach too much.  Anyone else have these problems.  Any idea when it will get better?

I was suppose to drink 600 calories each day since the surgery, but the first day I only could get in 1/2 cup of liquid.  Today I got in 2 cups of liquid and about 300 calories.    Any advice? 

Thanks, Mary

NeverQuits
on 11/23/12 7:35 am

Hi there, 

I was on Pepcid post-op also, it did nothing for me and I was taking like SO MANY TUMS as a result....switched to Prilosec twice a day and it has been a lifesaver for 2 years now....I wouldn't worry about the calories, I know I didn't and everything went fine....I couldn't drink any juices either, the sugars in it made me cramp, all my stomach wanted was pudding and yogurt, which was fine with me :)  I also used Carnation Instant Breakfasts for the protein/milk/calorie combo...Good luck with everything, Susan, NeverQuits

Susan    
vabella
on 11/23/12 7:40 am - TX

I was on a clear liquid diet or 9 days until my doctors apt.  I drank a lot of water sip sip sip , sf  popsicles, sf  Italian ice, but the best for me was sf apple cider.  could not not the broths due to the salt they were to strong.  hop this helps my doc.  did not have me on a calorie count at this time.  and I don't to protein drinks only solid form protein when i was aloud after liquid diet.  im 12 days out now.  hop this helps you.

jen

happyteacher
on 11/23/12 11:45 pm

Skip the juice- it is a bad habit anyway.  Loads of empty calories.  Fluids are critical though.  Try protein shakes and fluids at different temperatures like a warm tea versus iced tea.  The warm sometimes helps.  Isopure makes a drink that goes down like kool aid- not thick at all.  Keep trying!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!