2 week post-op and struggling....

bredmond
on 12/8/12 11:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I had sleeve surgery just over two weeks ago and I am really struggling with fluid intake and protein intake.  

In regards to fluid intake, I feel great when I wake up in the morning, but after just a single small sip of water I feel bloated and uncomfortable, and this lasts all day.  I keep trying to drink small amounts during the entire day, but I am struggling to get to the recommended 64 oz a day.  Is this normal and should continue to get better as I heal?  Any suggestions or recommendations that  might help me increase my fluid intake?

As for protein, I am finding myself unable to get any of the whey protein products down.  The smell and taste is so bad for me that I can't get more than a sip or two down before I have to give up.    I'm continuing to work through the various samples that I have, but I haven't been able to find anything that I can tolerate.  In addition to trying things like IsoPure, Costco's protein shakes, the protein jello, I've also tried Unjury's chicken and unflavored.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as I am really having difficulties with this.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Rita M.
on 12/9/12 12:48 am, edited 12/9/12 12:49 am - Webster, MA

Hi Bill,

well I am 9 days post-op and I am also struggling with fluid intake of 64 oz. I haven't made it yet. I do make around 40 sometimes 50 oz, but that was only twice since I left the hospital.

As far as protein shakes I am happy with Unjury, but I see you tried that one. Have you tried dense protein? Like eat small amounts of yogurt and small amounts of blended cottage cheese (ad some milk to make it smoother) and then just ad anything like Splenda to it or salad seasoning (the powder form) like Ranch or such. You can also ad the unflavored Unjury to yogurt or soup that is pureed and watered down with milk. Anything that is semi solid (I mean watered down with milk) you can basically ad unflavored protein powder and maybe that way you reach that protein goal. 

Hope that helped a little. Good luck.

Hugs,

Rita

lucy2e
on 12/9/12 12:53 am - Laurel, MD

Hi Bill - sorry you are struggling.  It is normal to have some difficulty and it will get better slowly.  

Experiment with drinking different temperature liquids - maybe some warm decaf herbal tea will work better, or something really cold and icy may work better for you.  SF popsicles and ice chips may work.  

You just have to work on getting it in - the more dehydrated you get, the worse it will be getting anything in.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

dot4you
on 12/9/12 1:19 am - CA

Hi Bill,

I had to go back and read my own post to remember what I ate around week two...Looks like Jello, added lattes (coffee with some flavor and protein) Different hot cream soups, again I needed flavor...the warm felt good also. And as far as the fluid intake, first thing when I got up I had a tall glass 24-32 oz of Crystal Light before any food...even if it takes time to get it down. That way I was "ahead" of the day. Still to this day I have to have Crystal Light in my water...and sip,sip,sip...and sip some more. I was so worried about dehydrating.

I hope that helps...

rissa1224
on 12/9/12 1:41 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Sorry you're struggling. I am still on clear liquids, I find tha****er doesnt go down as easy as mixing water. I mix my water with vimtain water 0 (the lemonade flavor) my NUT likes me having the vitamin 0 because it has truvia in it. Try that. It goes down SO easy. I mix half and half. Also I drink different flavored tea, warm, not hot. 

Sarah N.
on 12/9/12 9:37 am
VSG on 11/07/12

I was having an issue with protein count until week 3.. Then I found that I love milk (used to hate it).. I mix it with chocolate syrup and it's got 12 grams of protein per 12 oz glass.. I try to drink one of those before every meal, just to make sure.. But I drink Ensure Clear, again before surgery they smelt nasty and tasted that way too, but now they taste great..

Good luck!

Gigiof8
on 12/9/12 9:39 am
VSG on 11/12/12

I could not tolerate any whey based protein shakes. GNC  carries a shake called Lean Shake which works for me. It is tough to get all the liquid and protein in.

bigred_z
on 12/9/12 10:37 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

I use Jay Robb.  Only need 2 shakes a day plus meals to get my protein in.

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 237 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views