1 Year Surgiversary- if you are on the fence and what I have learned.

happyteacher
on 12/16/12 10:09 pm

Can't believe it has been a year!  I hit goal a while ago and currently am working on maintenance.   If you are thinking about the surgery, but are scared just know it has been INCREDIBLY worth it for me and many, many others on the board.  I have my life back.  I can move around great, no more sitting on the sidelines, freed from the embarrassment of being huge, and my health is crazy improved.  No more high cholesterol, no more diabetes, awesome relationships with the husband, healthier family and people around me benefited dramatically,  etc. etc.  I just feel great!  

Woke up today at my new all time low, albeit by only a few ounces but nonetheless it just feels like icing on a cake that has been baking for a year!  I need to update the ticker to show a pound loss for the month, so not too much variation overall and feeling pretty steady.

What I learned during the weight loss phase:

1.  Everyone's needs are a little different.  Some go strict and keep it under 800 cals and low carbs, but minimal exercise.  I was on the other end with cals starting low and low carb, but by a few months out increasing cals, carbs, and exercise.  I had no difficulty making it to goal on this path and my labs improved once I rounded out my diet, not to mention the constipation being relieved.  For me, it was well worth the time spend exercising for the higher calorie approach.  For others exercise sucks, so my advice is to be very honest with yourself to determine what will work to get you at goal.  

2.  Use the support system provided by your bariatric team.  We are kind hearted an well intentioned on this site, but it should not replace the directives given to you from your medical team.

3.  Learn how to navigate falling off the wagon and crawling back on.  I am a serious all or nothing type thinker, and this has been critical for me.  I thought it was super important during weight loss, but now in maintenance it is a hundred times more important.  

4.  Log your food and measure, period.  Everyday or at least 29 out of 30 days.  It makes that much of a difference.  It is shocking how calories can so easily hide in your day or you not realized just how much you have eaten.

5.  In my humble opinion the honeymoon period is a total myth, although the stats do show that trend.  I had no trouble losing weight after 8 months.  Now when my weight creeps up by a couple pounds I have no difficulty pulling it back off.  Eating is a choice.  Weight loss is determined by what you eat, not a 6 month window.  Don't get me wrong, maximize your early months, but lose the all or nothing type thinking that at 6 months the fat fairy is going to wave her magic wand and you will no longer be able to lose weight.  

6.  My plan:  First 2 months under 800 cals and under 40 carbs.  Hypoglycemia was a ***** so increased carbs.  Went up in calories a bit and net carbs at 100.  I was VERY careful to alternate 15 carbs and 30 carbs at meals to avoid insulin spikes.  Cravings were minimal and triggered usually only if I varied from the carb goals and over did it.  Felt better immediately.  Exercise also was increased to accommodate.  My normal routine was 6 days a week and either an hour on the elliptical or a 4-5 mile walk.  On the weekends many times I doubled up.  You can see in my ticker that my weight loss was pretty steady with this approach until I hit goal.  Calories went up at first to about 1000, and by 5 months I leveled off at about 1200.  I never felt deprived.  

7.  I cheated.  I don't like that I did and I am not proud of it.  But, it happened and even today I wrestle with the bad eating habits that got me super fat to begin with.  My Nut told me that it is about being consistent, and following plan at least 90% of the time, not about being perfect.  That was critical that I heard that and has a lot to do with my now being able to get back on the wagon instead of all hell breaking loose after a bad day.  Please know that despite occasional cheats I did not make it to goal by eating the way I did prior to surgery.  Protein first, carbs from fruit and veggies, and very very healthy eating choices dominated the daily diet.  They still do although I fight the sugar demon daily.  

8.  Golden rule:  If it is working continue with it, but if it is not ADJUST!

9.  Novelty helps me.  When exercise started to be difficult to get motivated, I bought a fitbit.  The Aria scale helped me stop obsessing over weighting in constantly (it automatically tracks in and sends the info to MFP).  Changes in exercise routines would add variety.  Scoping out new healthy recipes helped on the food front.  

10.  This site helped tremendously.  I am in debt to everyone who posts, who is honest about the journey, and to the support received.  Read often and stay plugged into the process.  

11.  For those considering:  My recovery was super smooth.  Had surgery and 2 weeks later back in the classroom.  Pain was very, very manageable.  Tolerance is excellent.  No side effects at all.  Nothing but good things to report.  See my review of my doctor for more detail or read my blog entries beginning about a year ago from today for me details.  

I wish everyone out there continued positive progress toward a healthier you!  Peace. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

slimpickins5280
on 12/16/12 10:14 pm - CO

Congratulations! You've done an amazing job. You should very proud of you hard work and dedication.

Way to stay with what works for you.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

71dart
on 12/16/12 10:42 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Thank you for your insightful post. I agree with being different and following your bariatric team program. My team's program is much different than many people recommend here, but I wanted to be successful so I followed their guidelines for diet/vitamins/exercise/psychological/ group support. It's been working, but this forum has also been very helpful for support.

I hope you are right about the "Honeymoon" myth. I have too much weight to lose to get it all off in 6-8 months. I have read from vets that lost 200+ lbs following VSG who took longer than that to get there.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

happyteacher
on 12/17/12 1:52 am

You are doing well 71, just hang in there.  Acbrown does an awesome job and she has lost over 200 pounds with a lot coming off in year two.  There are many inspirational folks such as her that just keep chugging along.  You are doing splendidly at 150 pounds!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/12 11:26 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Wonderful information and you've done so well. Congrats on succeeding with your sleeve! You're awesome. 

louisamay
on 12/17/12 12:19 am
VSG on 04/27/12

This is a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and analysis.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

stephanieplum
on 12/17/12 12:21 am, edited 12/17/12 12:21 am
VSG on 06/27/12

So Happy for You!!!!!  Congrats!!!

happyteacher
on 12/17/12 1:52 am

Thank you everybody :)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/17/12 2:07 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Thank you!! Motivating and very true! Way to go on your 1st surgiversary!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views