hiatal hernia

ronniesnana
on 12/17/12 12:45 am

Just found out through my insurance company that I had a hiatal hernia repair when I had my surgery done on 7/23. I had an upper GI few months earlier and said no sign of hiatal hernia. Called my dr but he is in surgery all day. No one told me or my son at the time of surgery. He didnt even mention it on my follow up exam. Very concerned and upset about this. I know it is common but am burping a lot. every time i swallow a gulp of water or put anything down my throat. Wondering if this is from heria repair or what. Anyone else have this burping?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/17/12 12:50 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I had two upper GI exams before surgery and neither of them revealed the Hiatal Hernia. My surgeon told me when I woke up that there was a hiatal hernia (large!) and he repaired it. When I had the presence of mind to ask him how come the GI doc didn't see it, his reply was "that's why I don't trust them".

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/17/12 12:56 am
VSG on 10/09/12
P.S. why are you concerned? It is a good thing that the HH was repaired. It is very common apparently.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

louisamay
on 12/17/12 1:17 am
VSG on 04/27/12

I can't imagine that your burping has anything to do with your hernia repair.

I had a hiatal hernia repair, too.  As you know, they are extremely common.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

happyteacher
on 12/17/12 2:45 am

I had the repair, and that caused far more discomfort then the sleeve surgery- not that it was all that bad or anything.  Tons of burping post op, but now back to normal.  Don't gulp if that is bothering you.  I had horrible reflux before, and none now.  I hope this is true for you too.  Hang in there and there is nothing to be concerned about- it is very common to have hernia repairs for sleeve surgeries.  Think of it as a 2 for 1!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Lujansgirl
on 12/17/12 2:53 am

I too had a hiatal hernia repair that didn't show up on my endoscopy, but the doc told me in the beginning that he wouldn't be surprised if there was a need for a repair in there.  Try not to be upset about him/her fixing it, because they just saved you another trip in there....however, it would have been nice if they told you what to expect with healing.  

I had to play detective and determined after asking a lot of questions that a lot of the after surgical pain I felt was from that repair.  It just makes sense.  I'm 3 weeks out and sometimes I still wake up in the morning with my diaphragm not feeling so great, but I know it is healing.  

I did in fact have these burping episodes you are talking about....and I'm not quite sure I would call it full fletched burping though...mine was more like gurgly air bubbles trying to escape.  Once in awhile one was louder than expected...heehee.  

I'm so thankful I had this surgery...both the sleeve and the hernia repair.  I had so many complications before (I'm a revision)....I'm so looking forward to my new life! :)  Best of wishes to you in your recovery, both in body and mind.  HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views