HELP! stall.. 9 months POST OP!

sarahr0
on 2/7/13 12:41 am
VSG on 05/16/12

see that is exactly what I'm thinking.  if I cut my cals down to 800.... but I burn 1000....I'll be negative... is that even healthy??!! ugh idk!

Sarah . 28yr . 5'0 . Female . Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania 
SW: 244.1 Surgery day weight:(5-16-12) 231.3   CW: 189.2   GW: 120lbs

frisco
on 2/6/13 11:49 am

As far as I can tell and what I have learned..... not to much validity to the "Starvation Mode"...... pretty much a myth.....

You need a calorie deficit to lose weight......your body needs to burn through..... carbs than protein before it can get to stored fat.

I think the OP is eating to much...... not losing for 2 months is maintaining and at a balance point. 

Several lucky ones here have done it with a 1200 cal program..... most can't..... (not lucky)

This is just about hands down the question I get most.........

My canned response is to get the calories down into the below 800 cal range with your exercise and closer to the 600 without.

Keep the protein up 80-90 and the carbs down below 40

Not to discount your WL.... -63lbs. is a great thing any way you look at it !!!

But it does reveal that your on a higher calorie plan. "Generally" speaking...... most women in my surgeons program with your stats lose 63lbs. in about 4 months. This is not to make you feel bad..... just shows the difference in programs. 

Try 600-800cals a day, 90grams protein, less than 40grams carbs and over 100oz. fluids for 7 solid days and I think you will find your answer.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

sarahr0
on 2/7/13 7:21 am
VSG on 05/16/12

can you provide me with a sample menu of my daily intake with 90g of protein? breakfast, lunch, dinner ideas? do you have a snack inbetween anywhere?  I will try this for 7 days and see the outcome.  I usually do an Isopure protein shake w/ super skim milk for breakfast which is 31g of protein.. and if i workout i have another shake after my workout. My isopure shake has 0 carbs.. whereas my shake that i use after a workout has 13g carb.  thank you for your help!

ruggie
on 2/6/13 12:20 pm - Sacramento, CA

I'm sorry to say, but if it's been two months, it's not a stall, it's maintenance.  

Starvation mode is largely a myth (if you're expending energy but not taking it in, you must lose weight). Also, as someone who was obese, you're not burning as many calories as you think you are.  Sad, but that's the reality.  

Keep the protein, cut the calories until you get to goal.  Try 800 calories until you hit it.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and good luck on your journey.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

sarahr0
on 2/7/13 12:38 am
VSG on 05/16/12

thank you! I am pretty sure I am burning that about. I wear a polar f11 heartrate monitor that monitors my heart rate throughout my entire workout. it has my age, gender, weight and height all programmed into it. 

ruggie
on 2/7/13 5:40 am - Sacramento, CA

No, you're not burning that many calories.  That's what I'm trying to tell you.

You believe that you know how many calories you're burning because a small electronics device is giving you a number.  You believe this number because you understand heart-based calculations of calories expenditures to be more accurate than other methods, especially when using a weighted-score model that takes into account your sex, age, and weight.

Still though, the machine cannot calculate your metabolic rate.  The calories it's listing is probably fairly accurate for a woman your age and mass that has never been obese.  But you have been obese.  Because you have been obese, your muscle fibers have gone through a physiological change, where many of the fast-twitch fibers have transformed into slow-twitch fibers.  Because slow-twitch muscle fibers are more energy efficient - requiring less energy (calories) to do the same amount of work, your Polar device is reporting that you're burning more calories than you really are - somewhere in the 20-25% range.  It's one of the many changes that being obese or formerly obese imparts on our bodies.  It's almost like a sad sort-of penalty or punishment.

Check out that article I linked for more info.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

sarahr0
on 2/7/13 7:25 am
VSG on 05/16/12

hm thanks for the info.. i have never heard of that before.   i also dont see a link attached?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/19/14 9:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is why people should never eat back exercise calories, as other websites tell you too. You are not burning as many calories as you think you are, and you are most likely eating more than you think. The combination is a recipe for either a plateau or a gain. 

The only people who should think about eating back exercise calories are athletes.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/13 2:31 pm

Of course this will come as no surprise to anyone, but I agree with Frisco and Ruggie.  Same school of thought, same doctor, same amazing results.  As far as I see this, you have two options and only you get to choose which way to go. 

1) Listen to what Frisco and Ruggie are telling you. Cut your calories way down, 600-800, bump up your protein to about 100 grams, and keep your carbs under 40.  Drink about 100 ounces a day and exercise as much as you want.  Do this for three weeks and if you are not seeing any results, than we must all be crazy.  I am willing to take that bet.

2) Listen to the people that are telling you to bump your calories way up, give it about three weeks and see what happens.  Here is my prediction if you go this route-- You will see an initial weight loss of about five pounds or so, then your weight will stall and you will wonder if you need to increase your calories again.  I have seen it over and over again. 

Your question is what I mostly get in my inbox daily.  Someone is eating about 1200-1500 calories, has been losing great for 4-6 months and then stalls.  The question is always the same, "how do I break my stall".  The answer is almost always the same too, " You are in maintenance, this is not a stall". 

sarahr0
on 2/7/13 7:12 am
VSG on 05/16/12

ok great.. thank you for all the great responses.  I will first try and lower my cals to 700 or so.  Does anybody have an example of their meal plans based on a 700 cal diet with 100g protein?  Dont get me wrong.. i love my progress thus far. I can't remember the last time i weighed 181 and wearing a size 14 pants..but weighing 140 and wearing size 8 sounds so much better!!  I would really love to meet my goal of -100lb lost.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views