Coffee - Yes?

pinkjellybean
on 2/9/13 8:23 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

I have never been one to drink coffee.  Pre-op I use to DESPISE the taste and smell of coffee!  It repulsed me but lately when I've been around my friends and their coffees the smell has been quite enjoyable and inviting! 

Sooooo.....tonight I had a small coffee with splenda and I was in LOVE. 

I am someone who swears by the rules that have made me successful in weight loss and I am allowed coffee but is it a slippery slope that could lead to something bad or am I safe to have a coffee every now and again?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/9/13 8:30 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Keep em "skinny", and "fat free" and you will be ok I think...

It is not like you were a coffee and a muffin girl before so a coffee is not going to be your gateway to the muffin if that makes sense.

Oh and I am loving them post op. I have probably had more coffee in the last month then I did in the 6 months prior.

I have a tassimo and a skinny latte has 5 g protein. *grin* I am totally in tune with that.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/13 8:33 am

There is no problem with coffee, just keep it to coffee only or occasionally skinny latte and splenda and you should be just fine.  I drink it every day.  Always check the calorie count of any drink at Starbucks or other coffee shop as it can be horrendous. 

Cindi A.
on 2/9/13 11:23 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12

So right, Elina, and tea too! I went to have a chai latte the other day at a coffee shop and checked MFP beforehand and found out it had 34 carbs! I don't always adhere to the less than 40 carb rule but this was just not worth the carb count!

Lesson: Your food tracker phone app is your new best friend, use it proactively! LOL

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

pinkjellybean
on 2/9/13 8:35 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

Yes!  This was just straight up coffee with one splenda...it's was irish cream flavoured roast but it wasn't a latte!  I think it had 4 calories!  I may be hooked for a while!  It was so nice to have something different.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/9/13 8:38 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Then you should be good to go... I like a lot of the flavored roasts since surgery!

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Teresa J.
on 2/9/13 8:50 am - McKinney, TX
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I love my coffee!!! Coffee with splenda only too. Tried to give it up after surgery but missed it soooo much!

Teresa

Ohiogirl
on 2/9/13 9:20 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
I never drank coffee before surgery but about a month post op, I was so cold all the time that I bought a keurig one cup machine - bought all the flavored decaf I could and torani and divinci SF syrups - and started drinking. I only drink decaf cause I can't handle caffeine. My flavored decaf gives me a little treat as well as helping me get my liquids in and warms me up. As an added plus - seems like coffee keeps my digestive system moving too - so no constipation.
I still haven't bought any while out and about but nice to know I have that option.

Paula

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/13 9:37 am

Seems to me that the prohibition against coffee is the caffeine, which is a diuretic. So if you still get your water in, you should be good!

JAlston
on 2/9/13 9:48 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I drink Starbucks via decaf singles. They are the best decaf coffee I have ever had because to me, it doesn't taste like decaf. Most decaf is like brown water, yuck. They are 5 calories. I use grocery store sweetner and have hazelnut (sugar free, fat free, calorie free) syrup for flavor. I use 3 tsp of fat free creamer and the whole drink is 35 calories and I use 16oz of water, with 8oz of water, the coffee is too strong for me (yeah, too strong for decaf, crazy).

I have been freezing since about 1 week post op so warm drinks are my best friend!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 381 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 416 views