1 day post op and.....

HilaryH8103
on 2/26/13 5:57 am - WA
Feeling SO much better than I did yesterday. An hour after I woke up from being in recovery it felt like someone had punched me a few times in my gut. About 2-4 hours later I felt 75% better.

I've been sipping, walking, talking & napping. I've only been able to get down water and chicken broth. The jello tasted disgusting. I don't think I'm ready for anything sugary yet.

I had a hard time getting the beads that were in my 20mgs of Prilosec to go down. They kept getting stuck in the bottom of my cup. I think I'd be better off swallowing the whole pill but I was told not to.
Did any of you swallow the whole pill?
I'm having some serious stomach noises going on right now. It's grumbling like it's hungry but I know it's not. I'm not going to lie but earlier when I opened my Moms fridge I saw the prettiest seedless red grapes I've ever seen & oh they looked so good. Of course I didn't have any but they were calling my name. Lol

Anyways so far so good, no nausea or dizziness.

Good luck to you all- XO,
Hilary
MomofMarch
on 2/26/13 6:01 am - GA

Congrats and welcome to the bench! I can't do too much sweet either. Just remember, the noises are pretty normal now. lol I swallowed whole pills out of surgery with no problems, but it's best to follow what your doc says.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

JerseyGirl_1213
on 2/26/13 6:14 am

Great to hear you're feeling so good so soon after surgery!  I had a hard time with the Prilosec beads too, but my surgeon says I can't swallow them until 1 month post op.  I did however find a small tablet form of it in Walmart's brand and showed that to the surgeon who ok'd it.  It's a bit more costly than my prescription copay but worth it to me to be able to swallow it and not struggle with the beads.  Once I can swallow the capsule, I'll use them.  Don't just swallow it if you Dr. said not too...every surgeon is different but they have their reasons. 

Best of luck on your continuing journey!

shajoh
on 2/26/13 6:42 am - Cleburne, TX
VSG on 11/27/12

My Dr. Said 3-6 mo. on swallowing pills or capsules. A friend who had it swallowed the day after surgery. My husband swallowed them a week after surgery. I waited about a month. The dr. Now says its alright. 3 mo. out. Do what your dr. recommends. Good luck. Oh I mixed my PPI in applesauce. 1 teaspoonful was all it took then washed the awful taste out with water. 

Sharla

Infaith72
on 2/26/13 6:43 am - AK
Hi Hilary! So glad to hear you are doing good.
I had trouble with sweets at first. Especially since they are all sugar free. Yulk!!! I also did better with the broth.
Just make sure to walk and drink, most important first few days.
Take care!
jobyro
on 2/26/13 6:56 am

Congrats!  Glad you're doing well.  I can't do the jello either.  I'm able to swallow my synthroid pill, but it's a small pill. 

slimpickins5280
on 2/26/13 6:59 am - CO

Make sure to use the spirometer a lot. It helps the lungs.

Welcome to the loser's bench!

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

melissa9777
on 2/26/13 8:50 am

I'm so happy for you! I go in to get sleeved on March 11th...did u have to do a pre-op diet? If so what kind?

raincloud
on 2/26/13 9:45 am, edited 2/26/13 9:48 am

congrats!  It sounds like you are doing well. I am one week post op today. They gave me pepcid through my IV. They gave me prilosec for home. They said I could eat a tiny bit of applesauce and pour the prilosec on it. I didn't get sick even though I was on the clear liquid diet. maybe you should try putting the beads on one spoonful of the jello. I know you don't like it but the medicine might stick and it's only one bite....

Cindy B.
on 2/26/13 10:05 am
VSG on 10/22/12

Hilary,

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well this early out. When I had my PPI "beads" I put them in a spoon and added a little bit of apple juice to it and took it that way. That was the easiest way I found to get them down. I waited until about 3 months after surgery to start taking it in the pill form.

Keep up the good work with walking and sipping. I had a hard time with drinking water, but really enjoyed chicken broth and herb teas that first couple of weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views