people in my pre surg class

shutterfly
on 3/6/13 2:58 pm - vancouver, Canada
Ha! So I feel like my first surgery cooking class was a joke. Not the information or the dietician leading the class it was the people in my class.

They were obnoxious and questioning the dietician. Asking questions like 'sodium content shouldn't matter... neither should caffeine after surgery' or theyd roll their eyes. One lady even was giving advice!!! I couldn't believe it. Like who comes to a bariatrics weight loss surgery class and gives advice about how to eat. Lol.

Why can't these ppl just shut up and let the professionals instruct And why the hell are they getting wls if they're contradicting and questioning the post op plan and restrictions and guidelines.

This is beyond me. I've had to keep my laughter in and resorted to rolling my eyes (not in plain few)

Anyone have a theory for these people?
MacMadame
on 3/6/13 3:23 pm - Northern, CA

I don't have a theory but I'm sort of surprised you're surprised. Look at all the stuff that gets posted here every day. It's clear that some people want WLS to be a magic wand that you wave and the weight falls off without them having to change anything about how they approach food.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Deckeriv
on 3/6/13 8:15 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

They will be the ones puking from eating too fast and eating the wrong foods. They will be the one that blames the surgeon for being terrible. They will be the ones whining. Karma is a *****

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

MuttLover
on 3/6/13 8:33 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I love the idea of a pre-surgery cooking class!  The only "group" class I had (besides support group) was the pre-surgical info class where the nurse tells everyone what to expect and reviews the post-surgical eating plan.  Keep in mind that all of these people would have had to complete 3 or 6 months of individual nutritional counseling first! 

The questions and comments were similar to what you experienced.  Including statements like "Eww. Purees!  I can't eat ANYTHING that is pureed!"  And a long story.  Followed by even more amazing comments and stories.

I only had three months of counseling -- and most of them had 6 months.  I was baffled by their seeming lack of understanding of their food plans -- and I admit, I was annoyed because I had to take off work for that meeting.  I finally had to leave after two hours to get back to work! 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

smashlee
on 3/6/13 10:43 pm
VSG on 12/17/12
Delusional? In denial?
People are funny. I absorbed as much learning as possible before my surgery and while it was very helpful I still learn daily.
Try to shrug them off. You seem to have your head on straight and the right attitude.
***Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - Anonymous

Nikke2003
on 3/7/13 1:53 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I'm not surprised at all... especially by the kinds of questions that are asked in the support groups and classes that I attend. What I do know is that some people just like to be contradictory - I know a few family members like this!

I also teach computer classes for a living and know from experience that there will ALWAYS be people in the room that think they know more than the person at the front of the room. Sometimes, it's almost as if they have some kind of joy in trying to prove the "expert" wrong and make them look bad. It's a pain and can be difficult to deal with; however, it's possible they don't even realize they're doing it!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

shutterfly
on 3/7/13 3:16 am - vancouver, Canada

Thank you. I will pay them no mind, the class is only 4 weeks long, so it won't be THAT long with them.

joannalu_1970
on 3/7/13 3:16 am - CA
VSG on 01/29/13

This reminds me of the endless Weigh****chers meetings I used to attend.  Most of it was just people trying to cheat through the system and still be successful.  Like, how much junk food can I get away with and still lose?  Clearly they're missing the point.  

shutterfly
on 3/7/13 3:28 am - vancouver, Canada

AHHH!! This lady kept saying that sodium content should not matter post surgery (or even now) because WW doesn't count it. I swear to you that she said it like 10 times. I couldn't stop myself from loosing my **** I felt like saying.. oh god, stick to WW. LOLL.

Machelle.K
on 3/7/13 6:21 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

People fear change and as result denial sets in and apparently came out of them as well. My class was similary.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Most Active