What made you choose VSG

Kympiggie
on 3/16/13 12:59 pm, edited 3/16/13 1:10 pm
VSG on 05/28/13

I have been struggling to decide between the VSG and RNY.  My surgery date is 28 May and I need to make my final decision....

What made you choose VSG?

lisa06810
on 3/16/13 1:25 pm - NH
Revision on 04/12/14 with

I've had my mind made up that I wanted VSG revised from lap band. The program director at the hospital kept saying that since I have the band, I would probably have to have RNY. I was pretty upset but resigned to the fact that sleeve would not happen. I wanted to have an intact stomach with a pyloric valve. Possibly a taste here and there of birthday cake that my daughter likes to make (with help, she's only 8) . Down the line be able to have an Advil to help with a headache, or Alka Seltzer cold . (As I type this I realize that due to the carbonation, this may be out of the question, but you get the picture.)   I had pretty much given up hope on the sleeve. I may not have this insurance next year, and my employers insurance doesnt cover bariatric surgery, so I was going to take what I could get, sleeve or RNY.  Turns out, after meeting with the surgeon this past Thursday, and a great upper endoscopy on Friday, that the sleeve will happen. 

Don't get me wrong about the cake thing, I know thats pretty much going to be a thing of the past, but every once in a while, stealing a bite of hubbys desert without dumping, a bite of cake on a special birthday, a fully functioning stomach, although much smaller, and being able to handle meds, is what made my decision.  Good luck with yours. 

Calking
on 3/16/13 3:40 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

From the previous poster I have to agree with her.  I don't ever want to have to deal with dumping.  That was one point in favor of the sleeve.  Another point was that I met a woman about 4 years ago and she told be about her experience having recently done the sleeve and she was 3 months post op and very successful at that point.  She was an inspiration to me.  

I like that the sleeve is less invasive.  I also like that if for some reason it didn't work out it could later be revised to RNY or DS.  However for me it was extremely successful.  I lost 95 pounds within somewhere between 5 and 6 months post op and while trying to actually gain back 10 pounds ever since I have instead lost another 3 pounds.  I have found out inadvertently how easy it is for me to be in maintenance so far.  However I still have to break maintenance to get back on course on the gaining back 10 pounds.  I figure I have as much time as I want to get it back and am not throwing myself into that pattern whole heartedly.  Overall who wouldn't want to be in that position ... and all courtesy of my VSG and the wonderful surgeon and nutritionist and their office staff that put me into this place in life.  

Of course I am biased.  I have enjoyed this journey and continue to enjoy it.  It has never really been a chore to me or even much of an inconvenience.  Although I guess if I were being honest I still eat things a little too fast and my stomach isn't shy about letting me know it is upset.  However here I am about 9 months post op and I have not ever thrown up.  I have been nauseated many a time due to my fast eating but no big deal.  I take a couple Gaviscon and things feel fine after awhile.

On a side note after having my surgery I found out that a friend of mine had the RNY and he has been very successful with that.  But like me he is a stubborn cus and will make it succeed as I have mine.  So success really does depend on the individual but from what I read in this forum I get the feeling that the sleeve is a more forgiving surgery than the RNY.  If you mess up with the sleeve you go back to basics and make some corrections and you are back on track.  

I hope that something I said here will prove helpful.  Good luck on choosing.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

mickeymantle
on 3/16/13 3:42 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the sleeve is a safer surgery , works as well as rny and you don't need to take as many supplements, and can take nsaids if you need them after your sleeve heals

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

horrible_monster
on 3/16/13 3:52 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

Aversion to dumping, wanting my pyloric valve functional, and not needing malabsorbtion. If had needed malabsorbtion, I would've pursued the duodenal switch. My surgeon recommended the VSG, and I agreed with him.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

MomofMarch
on 3/16/13 10:17 pm - GA

In contrast to the others, I am a dumper. If something has too much sugar, fats, or too many carbs, I dump. I just don't have it as severe as RNY patients. It's a possibility with any bariatric surgery.

I chose VSG for a number of reasons. First, I didn't want anything rerouted. I also have many friends with RNY that have had severe complications. One friend, at 5'5", she became severely malnourished and only weighed 95 lbs. She is needing to have it reversed and is living on a pic line for vitamins and nausea meds. She developed a lot of  ulcers as well. Another friend also developed some severe ulcers, but her floating stomach has reconnected itself to her pouch. She now has 2 stomachs that food enters and it causes her a lot of pain. She's needing a revision.

I also have quite a few friends that are completely happy with their RNY. The problems always seem to make people steer clear. It is something I had a gut feeling about (no pun intended), and I decided to go with that instinct.

I was also considered a light weight. My highest weight was 240, surgery weight was 224. I didn't have as much to lose as many other people that were getting this surgery done. (I'm 5'5") My doctor told me that this was the best one for me, with the least amount of complication risks.

Both surgeries are phenomenal at helping people get to their goals. It's ultimately up to YOU to do what you have to do. Stay on plan, and change your habits. It's all a matter of making a decision that best suits you.

Good luck!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

sleevegirl
on 3/16/13 10:37 pm - Austin, TX

I'd seen my aunt dump with the RNY and it was sucky. Scared me away from it. Also a few family members never reached goal.

I did NOT like the idea of messing with my intestines and all the stuff that comes with malabsorption. Also pyloris valve loss.

The biggest was the leftover blind stomach for me.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

rhinorg
on 3/16/13 10:44 pm
I'm not sure why three are less intelligent people, however, the data supports VSG as the best least risk and most successful surgery for those that want a life style change...As you know it has no replumbing or re routing of organs. So by now you know I m bias and you might want to stay with the VSG cause it's simply the least risk associated with WLS...oh 2" is all u need left ...trust in your research and be confident.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 157 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 429 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 448 views