PLEASE HELP ME--I CAN'T KEEP FOODS DOWN!!!!

Shanda J.
on 3/25/13 11:56 pm - IL
VSG on 02/11/13

The last couple of days and today I have vomited up my food. I wait 45min- 60min before I drink and after I have breakfast I have my protein drink with my vitamins & meds. I have not been able to keep breakfast down. I eat slow and take small bites and it takes me 30-40min to eat. I don't know what's going on. Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out. I eat 2oz. of turkey lunch meat and a half of string cheese. I'm fine at lunch as I usually eat the same thing I have to keep all of my meds. down and so far I haven't had much luck.

Thank you in advance!

Have a wonderful day!

Christine Heusinger
on 3/26/13 12:02 am - GA

Shanda, call your surgeon NOW.

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

MomofMarch
on 3/26/13 12:07 am - GA

Definitely call your surgeon. I'm not sure how far out you are, but vomiting could be a sign of something being stuck. Good luck!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/26/13 12:21 am, edited 3/26/13 12:45 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Am I understanding correctly that at breakfast you're eating 2 ounces of cold cuts, 1/2 a string cheese and a protein drink, then waiting an hour to drink something else?

If so-
1. Protein drinks are exactly that - drinks. Don't drink it right after eating the meat and cheese.
2. Since it's important to keep your Meds down I'd drop the meat and cheese and just have the protein drink with your Meds OR take the Meds with water or your protein drink, wait 1/2 hour, then have your breakfast of choice.

If I'm misunderstanding, please call your doctor this morning. We can give support, encouragement and sometimes some good advice based on experience, but we are not doctors. In particular, we are not YOUR doctor.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Zee Starrlite
on 3/26/13 12:39 am, edited 3/26/13 2:41 am

Protein drink for breakfast

Lunch is cold cuts & string cheese

These are 2 separate meals hopefully

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

mary d
on 3/26/13 1:22 am

Huh?  Read it again, she has breakfast, then the protein drink and meds.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Zee Starrlite
on 3/26/13 2:39 am

Wow, I'm wrong.  I guess I couldn't believe this possibility.  That is very bold in  6-7 weeks post-op if she meant that.

Each is a whole meal!

This isn't funny but my co-worker who spent a lot of her life possibly underweight - I mean she was skinny, really skinny.  In the last couple of years she has gained a tremendous amount of weight for her.  Her height is about 4'9 and she weighs over 140lbs.  Not much weight, but it looks like you could roll her down the hall because she is so little.  So her doc says "you have to lose weight" and "stop eating bread".  So she takes to eating jumbo sized bags of pretzels and sleeves of crackers instead.  I say "that is the same as bread"  She said "no, it's not, please don't say that, Oh, man, you ruined everything".  A year before this she was drinking slimfast with her big lunches - I mean she eats a full dinner plate of rice, meat on top with beans!  Now she's got her hand on 400 calorie bottled smoothes that she eats with these whole bags of chips.  This chica would sit at her desk and pride herself of eating the really huge bag of skittles.  I was scared for her.  When she eats she keeps the the box of salt next to her and shakes each mouthful of food with salt.  She says she has low sodium levels???

My dear friend who passed would say L, I stopped eating salt and in its place in the cabinet was Garlic Salt, Onion Salt, Pepper Salt, Adobo etc.  We were real young then and she was super obese.

So some of us are not nutritionally sound.  One thing is for sure.  We have a duty not to remain ignorant.  All of us somewhere during theWLS process have orientation, lectures, question & answer sessions etc with our WLS providers.  We are sent home with literature before, during and after.  If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

My Bad!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Cindy B.
on 3/26/13 12:28 am
VSG on 10/22/12

Make sure you're eating, then wait the 30 minutes before you drink your protein drink. Are you making sure to take your PPI before you eat anything in the morning? Also, count from when you finish eating, not when you start for when you're allowed to drink again. I'm not sure if this might be your problem but drinking too close to eating can make you throw up. Also, I don't know what kind of meds you're taking (and that's personal) but maybe you could break them up a little bit and not take them all at once. Just some suggestions. I hope this gets resolved soon. 

sarapilar
on 3/26/13 2:54 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

How long should one wait to start eating after drinking?  Some don't wait.  Is it 30 minutes?  Meaning, the water one drinks before a meal - how long should one wait?

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Cindy B.
on 3/27/13 12:04 am
VSG on 10/22/12

Yes, my surgeon recommends I stop drinking 30 minutes before I eat and not drink again for 30 minutes after I finish eating. If I eat denser protein, sometimes I don't feel like drinking for 45 minutes to an hour after I eat. I've become a clock watcher and I plan for when I'm going to eat and make sure I stop drinking a half hour before.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views