protein shakes.. Help!

ababenoit
on 5/1/13 10:20 pm - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
okay I know I ask a lot of questions about protein shakes... it's because I don't like them no matter what I try I just can't drink them and when I can it's only about two oz... which I know is not really helping me with protein are there any other suggestions besides protein shakes I've heard of isopure how does that taste. I'm not losing the weight that I should be losing only 12 pounds since surgery on April 8th and I know it's probably because I'm not taking enough protein or water. I know I need to do something because with the little bit of food I eat there's no way that I'll be able to get enough protein!

justpete
on 5/1/13 10:31 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

have you tried the egg, pea, and other powders?  maybe it's jsut the whey that bothers you.   I know how you feel though, I have a hard time with them as well.   I've settled on the mocha mint flavor of About Time ... with skim milk and ice.   I get a 1.5 portion of that in every day for a total of 47 protein in 1.25 cup.  It's not thick and the mint makes it feel a bit more refreshing.

I also ordered some Click mocha coffee, hoping that will help boost me up too.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Monet2009
on 5/1/13 10:39 pm - FL
VSG on 04/05/13 with
Have you tried the sample pack by Matrix? I have heard people say that they are really good and I have tried them also. Unjury has an unflavored protein powder that you can mix with anything, you might want to try that also. I recently got both and the unflavored can be added to yogurt, and any flavored drinks. This may help you reach your goal. How much protein does your doctor recommend at this stage?

Monet

ababenoit
on 5/2/13 2:18 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
68 oz... I've tried the unflavored also... But tasted the protein also!

oakcliffsleever
on 5/1/13 10:58 pm - Dallas, TX

Max Muscle Triple Whey Chocolate.  You can mix it with only 4 oz of water, and it's not thick at all.  If they have a store near you, you can taste test.  Interestingly enough, at my one month follow up group visit, two of us, out of the six, found that this is the one that's really good, that we drink most.  It's extra good mixed with PB2, which add another 5 g protein. 

Deckeriv
on 5/2/13 12:08 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Do you like chocolate milk or chocolate milk shakes? If not, you will never like chocolate protein shakes. If you like banana taffy, I know one that tastes just like those little laffy taffy squares I remember I had as a child. I like them in the morning. You can get it at GNC and it's called Total Lean 25. The nice thing is that it has 9 grams of fiber so you feel full longer and it helps with the constipation. Of course it's 25 grams of protein hence the name.

There is a flavor called French Vanilla in the same brand and I swear it tastes like vanilla cake batter just like when my mom used to let me lick the spoon when she was baking.

Maybe concentrate on the flavors you like and try them. Some people really like the mint cookie flavor. I never ate sweets as an adult (I can hear it now, "but John, how did you get so fat?"...let me assure you that you can eat enough steak and hamburgers to get fat without sweets) so protein shakes taste like cheating to me. I don't look at it as a task, but as a pleasure.

Maybe I psych myself out?

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Shagdoll
on 5/2/13 1:20 am

Vanilla Cake Batter flavor????  Now we're talkin'!!! 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Mr_Ls_Diet
on 5/2/13 12:30 am

Im in the same boat now, i just had my surgery on april 16th  and i am sick of protien shakes, i havent been taking the proper protien for the last week and am starting to get worried.

How important is the protein after surgery? i maybe get 20 -30 g per day. :( 

ParisGirl
on 5/2/13 12:44 am
VSG on 04/25/13
Protein is extremely important. You need your muscles to function and your heart is one large muscle. And you are healing from major surgery and protein assists in that.
Drink your protein like its medicine. You may be sick of it, but it's necessary to good health.

ParisGirl
on 5/2/13 12:45 am
VSG on 04/25/13
Have you tried Isopure Zeo Carb RTD? Like Kool-Aid. Yum!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views