Sleep apnea and overwhelmed...

shannon11
on 5/10/13 7:41 am, edited 5/10/13 7:45 am
Today I had a last pre-op test (echocardiogram) and my nutrition and hospital stay class. I got scared hearing about the JP drain, the nose tube, the heparin shots, etc. Nothing new but scary to hear from the floor nurse. Then, on the way home, my surgeon's coordinator called to tell me that my sleep study showed I have sleep apnea!

All of the sudden i wa**** by the the gravity of the surgery and the proof of the negative effect my weight is having in me. The surgeon's office scrambled to schedule a titration follow up study so that my June 10 surgery can happen as planned. This morning, I was so exited for the nutrition class but I am feeling really anxious now.

On the plus side, this site has been an incredible resource. There was nothing I heard from the NUT that I have not heard here...in fact, this forum has been much more helpful.

Did anyone else have sleep apnea that was resolved with the surgery? I feel like my husband is going to hate a noisy c-pap machine.
AmberL
on 5/10/13 7:54 am

My surgery was just on Tuesday so my sleep apnea isn't resolved yet, but the machine is not noisy at all.  You can't even hear it until you take off the mask and then you can hear the air blowing but while you have the mask on you can't hear anything.  You won't be snoring either if that was an issue for you, so your husband may like you having the machine!  I had a REALLY hard time getting used to my machine for the first 4 days or so, but I kept trying until I could get used to it, because they wouldn't have allowed me to have my surgery without it. 

shannon11
on 5/10/13 7:59 am
Thank you, Amber!
mdusha
on 5/10/13 8:00 am - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

Slow, deep breaths :). It can all be very overwhelming, but I'm here to tell you, it gets better. Just take it one step at a time.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 7 years prior to surgery and have been religiously using my CPAP machine since diagnosis. It's not so noisy! A partner I had commented that the light hum was light white noise and helped him sleep better in fact. Recently, due to the weight loss due to surgery, I was able to come off the CPAP altogether...voila! But the thing to remember going into CPAP use is that, while it does take some time to adjust to, once you begin really using it, you'll feel much better. Not getting sufficient oxygen at night really takes a toll on your body and even mental state.

I'm not you, but I'd recommend just viewing this as another confirmation that surgery will be a positive step towards being healthy...and it's just all part of the journey. 

Best of luck to you, and let us know how you're doing! :)

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

Jenny S.
on 5/10/13 8:29 am

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago.  Let me tell you Cpap was the biggest blessing!!  Apparently I was choking in my sleep which was discovered when my brother & I shared a hotel room for a wedding out of town.  When I had my sleep study they got my level for cpap up to 16!  It is serious & people in my family have died from it.  Use the machine you get & hopefully you will age out of it as your weight goes down.  It makes no noise whatsoever & I fall asleep almost immediately when using it. 

5' 2" 272 age 41

mickeymantle
on 5/10/13 9:30 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

almost every one that gets a sleep study needs a cpap, I got one a few months ago and hate it ,I try to use it as much as I can, my hubby uses his every night ,maybe he misses 7 days a year(if he has a bad cold)

the nose tube you will not know about , the drain is nothing , hurts a little when they take it out , and im told the heprin shots are the same as insulin shots little tiny needles that don't hurt , I will need them for a month because I have lupus anti gen ( its a blood clotting genetic  disorder )

I think sometimes it would be better if they didn't tell you about some of these things , so you will not worry about them

get your sleeve lose weight and feel better ,live longer all good

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Deckeriv
on 5/10/13 9:42 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Cpap takes a few days to get used to but not a big deal. I was off mine about three weeks after surgery. Have slept like a baby since.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

shannon11
on 5/10/13 10:06 am
I am very grateful for all of your responses. What reassuring support! Thank you all.
get2it
on 5/10/13 12:51 pm - Cedar Park, TX

I just wanted to say that they have to tell you everything and all possibilities so you are fully educated in what is going to happen. That being said, a lot of it sounds worse than it really is. I'm not saying that any kind of surgery isn't serious, but try to remember the reason's you are having the surgery done in the first place and all of the health issues that might happen if you don't have the surgery. That's what I'm doing. I'm considered "high risk" and the hardest thing for me to do to get ready for surgery was finding a surgeon that would be willing to do the sleeve on me. Dealing with my insurance and getting clearance from numerous other doctors was the easy part!! I'm meeting with my nutritionist next week though and am looking forward to getting on with it. I've had a JP drain before and it's not as bad as it sounds, it doesn't even really hurt. The nose tube is more irritating than anything else because it can dry out your nose a little and you can't put anything in it to help with that, but it doesn't hurt. The heparin shots aren't THAT big of a deal, they're less painful than a flu shot, you may get a little bruising in the area though. If you use Lovenox injections you might have a little more of a reaction to it, which is very common, just check with your doc. Sleep apnea can be very serious, please read up on it so you'll know the importance of using your machine. It does take some time getting used to the mask and depending on if you're a "mouth breather" you may need to wear a full face mask but please give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to it. (I like the UltraMirage full face mask) Like every one has said, the noise the machines make are quiet and relaxing and can even block out other noise that might usually wake you up if your a light sleeper. I had to go up from a C-PAP to a BI-PAP and it's a little noisier but the setting is much higher and the air flow blows in as you exhale and inhale. Either way it's better than hearing someone snore and if your anything like me a whole heck of a lot quieter!!! Just try to relax, what your feeling is normal, you're making a life altering change, but it's for the better... just remind yourself of that when you feel anxious. Good luck to you!!!

shannon11
on 5/10/13 12:56 pm
Thank you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views