Going crazy eating because I know I'm getting the surgery... ugh!

defygravity
on 5/19/13 10:31 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

Ok, so I don't have a firm date yet, but I meet with the surgeon on Tues. and will leave his office with an exact date.  I'm hoping for the first week of July.  Anyway, since I know I'm getting the surgery, I have been eating horribly lately.  My husband and I have a couple of "obligation" vacations this month with the first one being the first part of May in Alaska.  It was incredible and the food was amazing.  I kept telling myself that this time next year I won't be able to eat this way.  Fast forward to today and I have gained about 8 lbs and I'm leaving for Grand Cayman on Thurs.  I don't really care about looks but, omg, I look 8 mos. pregnant because all of this new weight is sitting in my stomach.  I can't be the only one who binged before surgery.  Can I?

I'm not worried about not being able to follow doctors orders later.  I've always been a bit OCD when it comes to following plans.  I know the VSG is the right thing for me and I know I'll be successful with it.  I just wish this damn wedding that we are going to was next year.

Anybody else use upcoming surgery to go a little (or a lot) overboard?

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Diana E.
on 5/19/13 10:37 am
VSG on 03/27/13

I did the same thing after I was finished with my supervised diet with my NUT.  There was 4 months between the end of that and my surgery date.  I even cheated my way through the first 10 days of my 14 day liquid diet... while I did do the shakes the whole time, I had a meal each day, with quite a few food funerals.

Post Op- I'm not having any issues following doctors orders.  It's your journey.  As long as you know you will be able to follow the orders.  I did start tapering down the closer it got to surgery.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

Queenb0613
on 5/19/13 10:49 am

My surgery is this Tuesday, and I'm STILL cheating!  LOL!!!  I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one!  I'm a little nervous about the surgery, but excited at the same time. 

VSG on 06/12/13
I have had two food funerals to date. One McDonald's run and some of my daughters birthday cake tonight. At the same time, I have been working on a 75g carb diet each day (yeah, those days blew it). I also joined the gym and hired a trainer. Starting the 29th, that number needs to go to 20g/. Doc's only requirement is that I must weigh less than I did at first weigh in, and preop diet is that 20g diet.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

VSGSteve
on 5/19/13 10:53 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13
Guys,
At some point you have to get real about this. Your body is going be going through a huge transformation physically, emotionally and mentally... That's why they have you do a pre op diet. Do you realize you won't be eating solid foods for 4-6 weeks after surgery?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

faithbiblemlw
on 5/19/13 11:00 am - CO

I have been doing the same thing. I have been ordering from this fancy bakery every week. also, i cant stop eating hot wings. since i know i will never be able to eat hot wings again, i have been ordering them like 3x a week from pizza hut. i have been eating twice as horrible as i normally do and before i was really bad. i am glad that i am not the only one who has done this. i am having my surgery in august. everyday i tell myself i will be good today but most the time i fail. i am already worried about doing the preop diet and its a couple of months away. i just need to make my mind up that i am going to do this. i wish you all the luck.

Cindy B.
on 5/19/13 11:10 am
VSG on 10/22/12

I would suggest starting to really get your body and mind ready for the surgery. For the most part I don't really miss eating as much as I thought I would. Yes, I eat, but I don't EAT if you know what I mean. I really think, for me at least, that my recovery and the last 7 months would have been harder if I had tons of "food funerals" before I had the surgery. I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but having this surgery is a major surgery and the healthier and smaller you are when you actually go in, the better you'll feel after the surgery. These are all just my thoughts...

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

3rbwsmom
on 5/19/13 11:41 am

I get the reason why you want to eat and I think that all of us do it a little before surgery. However you do need to stop now. Ioh ad a few moments when I thought that I deserved to eat a little more, but then I had some really good friends bring me back to reality. So 2weeks before the surgery I joined the gym and worked out 4-5 times a week and started eating right. And let me tell you I am so glad that I did! Not only did I shrink my liver a little to help the doc with the surgery, but saying bye to those foods sooner and starting to mentally prepare has helped me post op. I had surgery on Tuesday (5/14/13) and let me tell you it is painful! I honestly believe that I wouldn't have been able to recover as good as I have been had I not started exercising. And because I had already stopped eating a bunch of things, I have been able to handle it soo much better when my family is eating and all I can have is a protein shake. This is a major surgery and a lifestyle change for the rest of your life. Why not prove to yourself that you can do it and that you are worth it. I mean you have had plenty of years of eating those crappy foods and look where it has gotten you. Why not try to change things up now. Tackle that mental stuff because I promise you are going to have to deal with it after surgery. Good luck guys! 

HW:298**SW:289.5**SD:5/14/13**CW:175**GW:170

AmberL
on 5/19/13 12:00 pm

I had many many food funerals before my 2 week pre-op diet.  I wore my husband out with going out every night to say "goodbye" to my favorite restaurants, some of them more than once!  We spent so much money!  But on the day the pre-op diet started, I was able to get into the right mind set and I followed it to the letter.  I'm now on full liquids and I haven't had any trouble following that either.  I'm not saying I did the right thing, but that was just me and the way that I had to get myself emotionally ready.  Some of my "goodbye" dinners I didn't even really enjoy, I just kind of had this feeling that if I didn't do it I might regret it after the surgery and I might miss eating at those places and possibly cheat.  I don't know if having those food funerals helped me not to do that, but I have not cheated once and I don't plan to.

I guess I'm saying, don't beat yourself up!  I'm sure you will get yourself on track when you start the pre-op diet.

Kympiggie
on 5/19/13 12:42 pm
VSG on 05/28/13

Well, I am also guilty of having my own food funerals before going on my pre-op liquid diet.  It really didn't help me.  I am now finishing my sixth day of pre-op and, to be honest, it sucks!  I feel so deprive, it's not funny!  For me personally, it would have been much easier if I had been eating healthier for a bit before the pre- op diet.... I wouldn't feel such a loss.  I am sticking to it and haven't cheated even though I was very tempted....  Onto Day 7 tomorrow!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 230 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 305 views