Has anyone had band out, hernia fixed and sleeve done in one day?

DonnaMaria
on 5/22/13 10:39 am

My doctor wants to repair my hernia, take the band out and sleeve me the same day. Although for weight gain issues I am glad I will not be without a tool I am freaked out about having all this done at one time. I have a very low tolerance for pain.

So Sleeve folks, has anyone gone this route?

Thanks,

Donna Marie

mapietras
on 5/22/13 1:47 pm - MI

I didn't have a band out;  but I did have two hernia repairs at the same time I was sleeved. One was a hiatal hernia and the other was and incisional hernia  from a previous surgery (ileostomy take down). I think it made me a little more uncomfortable and I've had to stay on liquid protein longer. The pureed food just doesn't go down very well yet. I'm 5 weeks out. They gave me a pain pump in the hospital. I could push the button anytime I needed it....but everyone is different. I was also sent home with plenty of meds for pain, spasms and acid/reflux.

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Deckeriv
on 5/22/13 9:52 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Very standard. Nothing to fear. I don't know the statistics, but hernia repair is very common with us fat people when doing the sleeve. Our stomach got big and had to go somewhere and usually poked out a muscle wall a little. It's nothing to fear and not painful. You will notice after the surgery that you will feel a sip of water at the top and the bottom of your stomach. It lasts about a week and if you didn't know you had a hernia repair, you wouldn't know it from your recovery.

Many people go from a band to a sleeve so that revision is also now standard.

You will feel pain when you first wake up in recovery, I'm not going to lie. You have to hurt or you won't wake up. You won't remember the pain because of the amnesia drugs still in your system so that is good. Once awake you will get some great drugs and instead of pain, you will just be uncomfortable. Walking helps with that. It is amazing how good walking feels.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Sandy M.
on 5/22/13 9:56 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I did - just two weeks ago.  I had my 7 year old band removed, a hiatal hernia fixed, and VSG.  My surgeon is very conservative, and warned me that he might only remove the band and fix the hernia in the first surgery, depending on how much scar tissue the band left behind.  I was mentally prepared for two surgeries, so was thrilled when I woke up and he told me that  he did everything at one time.

I'm pretty sure I'm an ideal patient though - I didn't have much pain at all, in fact asked that the narcotics be discontinued the first night in the hospital because all they were doing was making me dry heave!  I think I used liquid Tylenol twice after that.

It's the hospital's job to make sure you have minimal pain, but it's our job to speak up and take control of our own medical care too.  

Two weeks out, and I've lost 16 pounds!  I feel better than I have in years, and eating with the sleeve is NOTHING like it was with the band for me, where almost everything got stuck and resulted in vomiting.  

Good luck to you - I rely heavily on Obesity Help for support, and I'm sure you'll find it invaluable as well!

Sandy

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views