EWL % at 6 months

Healthy4Life2012
on 5/30/13 12:16 pm
Anyone know?
Mom_2_4
on 5/30/13 12:38 pm
VSG on 05/22/13

I"m not certain but the last i read here was 50% at 3 months, 80% at 6 and the remaining 20% by 12 months.

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

MacMadame
on 5/30/13 12:57 pm - Northern, CA

I'm not sure what the question is. Everyone's WL is different and you will see results all over the place. Are you looking for a goal to shoot for or what typical results are?

My surgeon likes to see 50% at 3 months and 80% at 6 months but I think those are aggressive goals. I don't think those are typical results at all. Of course, his program gets better results than national averages and asking for such aggressive numbers is probably why. mail But not everyone hits those numbers even in his program.

I did manage it, but I was training for triathlons at the time. If I had only been doing typical exercise, I'm not sure I could have made it to be honest.

There used to be a weight predictor here on OH and it has much less aggressive numbers. I have no idea where it got its numbers from though and now I can't find it.

I think it also depends on where you start from what to expect. People with 200+ pounds to lose aren't going to lose it all in the first year for the most part. Some do but most don't.  But, most people with 100 pounds or less to lose will lose it all in the first 6-12 months.

Does that help?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Chalk
on 5/30/13 4:23 pm - TN
VSG on 01/09/12
I can't find the chart here on OH that gives the average loss per months, but I remember that my loss tracked really closely with that chart. My signature has my monthly loss so I hope that helps you.

At 6 months I had lost around 46% of excess weight - I reached goal at 10 months.

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

ravenbrown
on 5/30/13 11:07 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

My surgeon has the 50% EWL by 3 months, 80% EWL by 6 months and 100% EWL by a year.  It is very aggressive, and I think it can make his patients feel poorly about themselves which is not his intention.  I actually found it motivating, and it has helped me keep on track and work my butt off.  These aren't typical results, though, just something you can work towards. 

JAlston
on 5/30/13 11:13 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

Excuse my mathematically dumb question but how do I figure out my %? Is it the number of lbs lost divided by the number of lbs overweight to find the %?

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Carmelita
on 5/30/13 11:54 pm, edited 5/30/13 11:54 pm - Four Corners, NM
Carmelita
on 5/30/13 11:35 pm - Four Corners, NM

I sure don't ...I never cared to ask my surgeon what his was for me. Nor did I care about any made up or otherwise stats comin out of his office..that had nothin to do with ME either.   I don't know what YOUR EWL% will be at 6 months neither. EWL is up to the individual. 

the OH  EWL goal planner calculator Chalk mentioned...that I used to screw around with is linked on my STALLS and PLATEAUS blog 

scroll to bottom... you can see how long it would/could take YOU losing 100%  of your excess weight ...70% or whatever % you want off.  its a numbers game...based on YOU...  how bad ya want it,  what is possible ....its kinda neat. 

Thru the rapid fat loss phase..ya wanna optimize that time n get as much off as ya can....cuz its just that A PHASE.  Now that don't mean yer done losin right...it just means weight loss can and does slow down some...its no longer hare rapid fat loss...more like tortoise pace fat loss...n we all know who won the race right ,-)  

The "honeymoon phase" ya hear about I think has more to do with sleeve maturity/restriction  and set point...usually by 18 months post op. I never lost another pound after 13 months post op... But that ain't set in stone either...published studies PROVE individual VSGrs actively losing weight into 2 YEARS post VSG. 

Helps? Nooooo!!?!?!?!  lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views