2 year surgiversary (May 31st) ramblings (pics)

LeahBea
on 5/31/13 2:17 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with

Today marks the two year anniversary of having my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. 

I honestly don’t even know where to begin...

I suppose I’ll start with how I’m doing. As always, I am insanely busy with work and school (one of the main reasons I’m not on the boards much these days). I had a few set backs as far a school goes, two of the classes I have to have to graduate are only offered this coming fall and spring. And being the only two classes I have left after this summer semester, it means graduating almost a year later than I had originally planned... alas, everything happens for a reason (or I tell myself that so I don’t go postal) so I’ll keep on keeping on. 

My boyfriend Dave, (who I met after finally starting to date again last summer) is absolutely amazing. Really, I wish there were more words to describe how incredibly happy he makes me and how well he treats me, but that’s what it is. He is patient, kind, and understanding of all my post-op weirdness. He tells me daily that I’m beautiful and perfect just as I am, including my excess skin. I couldn’t have asked for more... well, I could have, but really... does it get a lot better than that?

Which brings me to maintenance and where I am now 2 years post-VSG. I have maintained my weight loss with a few fluctuations here and there. I’m currently a few pounds up from where I generally like to sit, but nothing extreme (I’ve had a few higher sodium and carb days this week, my own fault entirely), and nothing a few days back on my weight loss eating plan won’t take care of. For the most part, I maintain within a 5 lb range. That range has changed a few times since hitting my original and then my doctor’s goals. 

At one point this year I dipped down to 121 lbs and realized that while I was happy with it and thought I looked ok... my friends, family, and co-workers were all pretty concerned that I was too thin and not taking care of myself. Looking back at it, I realize that I got to the point that I was obsessing over how low I could get that number on the scale. I wasn’t quite ready to part with the joy that seeing that number go down brings. While I was still taking care of myself nutritionally, I was being unhealthy about the number on the scale. So I changed it. I went a few weeks without weighing and let more carbs into my maintenance plan, and put a few pounds back on. And guess what?! The world didn’t end. Life didn’t come crashing down around me, and I realized that as long as I’m in a normal BMI range and stay at a relatively stable weight, I’m not going to over think it or stress myself out over it. 

I’ve worked DAMN hard to get to where I am, and I continue to work at maintaining that. I still run at least 3 times a week. I just ran my first “big” race this month, the Tough Mudder. And every time I put on my running shoes, I’m still amazed at how far I’ve come.

Two years ago, I was terrified that I would never lose the weight I needed to lose. I was scared that I wasn’t strong enough to do the things required of me post-surgery. But I was, am, and continue to surprise myself each and everyday when I wake up, look in the mirror and see the girl staring back at me that I still don’t recognize half of the time. I’m still learning who that girl is, and the things she’s capable of. Of course, I didn’t think I was capable of losing 200 lbs, but if I can do that... well, this “new” girl I see in the mirror must be capable of just as much, if not more. 

Well, if you made it through all of that... my apologies, I’m sure my ramblings aren’t all that interesting. And as always, it wouldn’t be a post from me without some photo whoring... 

Somewhere around my heaviest

A few days post- VSG (around 303lbs)

My Birthday this year with the boyfriend

Photo

And a before and after

Leah

sonia29
on 5/31/13 2:23 pm
You look awesome! Confident, and beautiful!!!!

29y/ 5'4 / HW 265/SW 255/CW 120.1/Final goal 125

SuzieQ14
on 5/31/13 2:26 pm

Your transformation is amazing.  My surgery is on 6/11 and seeing your success gives me hope.  Great Job !!!

linzeelee
on 5/31/13 2:27 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
Congrats to you! You are cute as a button. I love the pic with the curly hair and nose ring - so sassy! Thank you for sharing. People's stories and pics are so inspiring to us baby sleevers.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

ITwon
on 5/31/13 3:48 pm - Woonsocket, RI

You are beautiful and this is quite inspiring! Congrats on your new life :)

HilaryH8103
on 5/31/13 3:53 pm - WA
Your story is very inspiring. I found every bit of it interesting, thank you for sharing.
Was it always easy for you over those 2 years? Did you ever regret your decision to have WLS? Did you ever get sick along the way, dehydrated, anything?
I ask because today has been my worst day ever. I'm 13 weeks post-op, I couldn't have asked for better results when it comes to the weight just falling off of me but I got dehydrated & very sick & was basically hating life. I feel much better after all of the IV fluids & the nausea medication that I got today but I hope I never have a day like today again.
So, I was just being nosy & wondering if you ever had any really rough days along the way.

Congratulations on all of your success.

Hilary
pdtmd501
on 5/31/13 8:24 pm

I saw your post and the questions you asked so I wanted to ask you a couple of things.  I'm 2 days post op and afraid of getting dehydrated.  I'm sipping and sipping but only so much goes in at that rate.  How do keep from getting dehydrated?  

SURGERY WITH DR. PLEATMAN--05/30/13       

HW:303    SW: 299   GW:  180

LeahBea
on 6/1/13 10:24 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Thank you! To answer your questions:
No, it was not always easy. But few things that are worth it in life are easy.
I have NEVER regretted my decision to have surgery. I knew I wanted to change my entire life and this was my chance. If I had it to do over again, I would still choose to have my VSG.

And we all have rough patches. There have been a few times when I've gotten sick and felt absolutely awful. Earlier this year I got a migraine, felt terrible, got super sick and spiked a fever. Got dehydrated despite drinking tons of fluids (even pedialyte, lol) and had to go get fluids. But I doubt it had anything to do with being post-VSG. I was just sick and needed medical care.

Hope you're feeling better! Take care of yourself.

Leah

cappy11448
on 5/31/13 9:39 pm

You look great.  You are an inspiration.  I have 200 pounds to lose, also, and your success gives me hope.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

sunny_disposition
on 5/31/13 9:59 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I love reading these stories, thank you so much for sharing! What a beautiful transformation!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views