Can you over eat with the sleeve?

songbird5769
on 6/17/13 9:02 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 07/07/11
Can you over eat with the sleeve ? I have the band and have gained back most of my weight because I had most of the fluid taken out of it due to food getting stuck in the band. Now I can eat a lot more If I get the sleeve, will it stop me from over eating or do you still have to rely on self control which I don't have. ?

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/13 9:11 am

Yes, of course you can over eat with the sleeve.  You can eat the wrong foods that are full of carbs, fats and have no nutritional value.  You can drink your calories.  You can graze all day long.  There are a thousand and one ways that you can do this wrong.  This is of course true of every single other surgery as well.  There is absolutely no known way to lose weight and keep it off without effort, education, dedication, motivation and continuity.  Just like any tool, surgery is there to be used but it does not do the work itself in the long run.   You have to do the work.  DS is probably the most forgiving of surgeries when it comes to what you are eating, but it comes with its own set of challenges and I know two people personally that have gained weight by eating around the DS as well.  So even then, you have to stay in the game or you will gain.

Grantus
on 6/17/13 10:21 am

Yes, what Elina said. It's a tool to help you lose weight, but if you're not ready to make lifestyle changes, you'll eventually defeat it.

lucy2e
on 6/17/13 10:32 am - Laurel, MD

Like others said - you can overeat and defeat the sleeve.  

But the sleeve does have great restriction - depending on your surgeon and what size sleeve he does (search bougie size - you can see tons of posts on this).  You can eat and feel completely full off of 2 - 3 oz of dense protein.  

You do have to follow the rules and stick to the plan - eat protein first then veggies and limit carbs.  Avoid grazing and liquid calories...  The sleeve doesn't work a miracle - but it does give me the tool I need to get the job done.

Hope that helps!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

ruggie
on 6/17/13 2:09 pm - Sacramento, CA

Listen to Elina.

Not just this post, but everything she says.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

frisco
on 6/17/13 4:11 pm

Breakfast- Captain Crunch

Drive to work- Mocha Frappachino

Snack- Donut

Lunch- Pizza

Snack- Screaming Yellow Zonkers

Drive home from work- Mocha Frapachino and a maple oat scone

Dinner- Lasagna

Dessert- Ice Cream

Midnight Snack- Doritos

That would do it...... wait..... I did that......just about everyday pre-op

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MacMadame
on 6/17/13 7:09 pm - Northern, CA

I think you are asking a different question than it seems like you are asking and than people are answering.

With the band, if you take out the fluid, you have no hunger control and it's just like you didn't have WLS. It's just like being on another diet.

In spite of what the militant DSers will tell you, having a VSG is NOT just like being on a diet pre-op or like having a band with no fill.

First of all, you will get hunger control and it's a much surer thing than with the band. It doesn't require you to get fills and unfills and have just the exact right amount of saline in there. You wake up with it. After surgery you will have immediate restriction, too.

You will also have an immediate reduction in ghrelin. With the band, studies have shown that ghrelin levels long-term are DOUBLE what they are pre-op. With the sleeve, your ghrelin levels will be much smaller than they were pre-op. They will be more like what you'd normally expect to see or even lower than that.

Since ghrelin is the hormone that gives us our feelings of hunger, not having excess amounts means you will only have ravenous hunger if you don't eat for hours and hours. You won't have it all the time or half an hour after eating like a lot of us had pre-op.

So, sure, if you have unresolved food issues that cause you to binge eat when you are sad, or any other issues that cause you to eat when you aren't hungry, you will have problems with any WLS. But you aren't going to need the kind of self-control that you need now or we all needed pre-op. That's why WLS works so well compared to dieting which hardly works at all.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

songbird5769
on 6/17/13 10:31 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 07/07/11
Thank you for your answers. They really helped!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views