Fruit or no fruit?? Vets?

Anne64
on 7/8/13 12:09 pm
VSG on 06/19/13

Lots and lots of differing opinions on this.  At our last support group we had a group of people who had been at goal a year or more answer questions (a panel of sorts).  Out of the 5, 4 ate limited amounts of fruit throughout their journey.  For example, one woman added 1/2 cup strawberries to her protein shake regularly.  Another had either an orange or an apple as a snack everyday.  And another stated that she had half a banana every morning.  Does that work for everyone? Don't know.  But I have met those that made goal with fruit and I have met many on OH that did well without it.  Dr. Lustig, who wrote "Fat Chance" and also has a widely viewed video on youtube called "sugar, the bitter truth"  is convinced that whole fruits contain fiber and other properties that change how they are absorbed when compared to the ingestion of sucrose or HFCS.  Pre surgery I lost 27 pounds simply by not eating refined sugar or processed foods...and I included at least 2 cups of fruit per day. as with all things....your mileage may vary.  :-)

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

happyteacher
on 7/8/13 12:27 pm

I am not a low carber... 

but even with that I was careful.   Maybe some strawberries or other options that are low on the glycemic index.  I would usually just do one or at the very most 2 servings a day of fruit.  I stuck more to veggies, particularly green and leafy. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

lsereno
on 7/8/13 12:51 pm - CA

I love my fruit but I didn't really eat much for a couple of reasons: it was too acidic for me early out, and I was too full after eating protein.  I did use a couple of strawberries (really two is enough!) to flavor my yogurt shake and sometimes my protein shake. Generally, I flavored my protein shake by making it a latte: Vanilla protein with Starbucks Decaf Instant. 

Lynda

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/13 1:37 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
My trainer doesn't recommend eating a lot of fruit or as he calls it Nature's Candy. If you do you want to try for lower glycemic fruits like berries and you want to stay away from tropical fruits like mango, papaya and pineapple.

My trainer is pretty funny, he says you can have a snickers bar for the same amount of sugar you can find in some fruit.

I will do a few raspberries or strawberries. In fact, 3 strawberries make me really full, not sure what it is about them but they seem to sit heavy.

A. Kondrlik
on 7/9/13 4:40 am
VSG on 01/24/13

TMI....    but I have gotten really tired of being constipated all the time, so I have decided to add 1 or 2 small servings of fruit daily and see what happens.  It doesn't seem to trigger me, i will be watching my weight loss to see if it is effected  Otherwise my  diet consists of Protein and veggies, with a little bit of low fat dairy. The thing about a smoothie is there might be several servings of fruit so might be higher in calories than you thnk.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Bloodshotbetty
on 7/9/13 5:13 am - minneapolis, MN

If I am reaching for a banana rather than the potato chips, I call it a win!  My personal philosophy is that if it came from the ground or has a mother it's probably a decent choice.

-Alycia-

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views