Fruit or no fruit?? Vets?

ababenoit
on 7/8/13 9:22 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
I went to get a protein shake at planet nutrition.... I watch my carbs and try to stay under 30-40. They put a lot of fruit in them and fruit are high in carbs... My dietician says not to count carbs in fruit and vegetables.... But I count everything! I make my shake in the morning and try to add things that don't add many carbs... What do some of you think?

acbbrown
on 7/8/13 9:25 am - Granada Hills, CA

Fruit is mostly sugar - sure there are some healthy things in there too, vitamins, etc, but at the end, its sugar. You eat 3 servings a day and you pushing almost 100 g of JUST sugar not to mention carbs from other sources. I didnt eat much fruit when i was losing weight. I eat a lot of it now, but that's why my scale isnt going anywhere.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ababenoit
on 7/8/13 9:38 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
I thought so! Any suggestions on things to add to my vanilla shakes... I don't have many sugar free flavorings. Trying to find other things

shrinking_sarah
on 7/8/13 9:51 am - CA

unsweetened cocoa powder, almond extract, a drop (be really conservative) of mint extract--really any extract you like, just not too much, especially with mint (I learned this the hard way).

:)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

datachick
on 7/8/13 10:12 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

When I could start to eat more quantity and more diverse things, i ate fruit per my NUT's plan. However I found that my weight loss stalled. That took me like a week or so to notice that, to put the pieces together. So I cut down on the amount of fruit and my weight loss started again. I love the fruit, I just make sure to keep the portions low. It's one of those things you have to fiddle with yourself to see what works (or not) for you.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

mrsfrogdr
on 7/8/13 10:26 am

I'm not a big fruit eater.  But I do love blackberries.  It only takes a few...like six...to get great flavor in yogurt or shakes. I have used three strawberries the same way.  Sometimes, peaches call my name, but oh than that, fruit doesn't do it for me.  Juice is another story, but I avoid it like the plague.

Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

Yocie
on 7/8/13 10:40 am
VSG on 11/06/12

I add a bit of sugar free pudding powder to my vanilla shakes.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/13 11:56 am

Okay, your NUT seems to be in the good carb vs. bad carbs camp. Many of them are and that is okay for "normies", but not so much for us.

Here's the deal: fruit sugar is called fructose. Simply "fructose" means sugar from fruit. So when you are counting carbs you have to count fructose carbs because it all boils down to sugar that will cause an insulin reaction in your body. I'm going to skip the whole insulin reaction thing, but I'm hoping you get the gist.

It's also important for you and your NUT to understand that carbs are the most easily used form of energy for the body. That's great when you don't want to lose the extra stores of energy your body has built up in the form of fat. If you want to get rid of the fat, you need to reduce your carb intake so that your body is forced to use its fat stores and isn't using the readily available glucose converted from the carbs you just ate. To do this easily you have to be under 100 carbs per day. However, studies have shown that the most effective results occur once you drop your carb intake to below 60, even more when carbs are dropped to 40. Thus, for us the magic number of 40 carbs per day.

So, no, during weight loss I did not eat fruit until the very, very tail end when I "transitioned" to a more liberal eating plan. Even now, I limit my fruit to mostly berries and a bite of other fruits here and there. What I do do is make sure that I eat at least 2 or 3 servings of vegetables per day.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/13 11:57 am

I didn't add fruit back into my eating until goal, except for a handful of berries here and there.  Even now, I mostly stick to lower carb fruits in my every day diet.  I mean I will eat some high carb fruits once in a while, but I put them into the same category as sweets and chocolate.  If they start to trigger me, I cut them out. 

ababenoit
on 7/8/13 12:04 pm - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
Thanks for all of the advice... I think I was right not eating the fruit. I love watermelon.. I think I was secretly hoping my dietician was right lol! I will have to try to find other things to put into my shakes to save the carbs!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views