Gurls help! Birth control

kelly_p
on 8/14/13 3:23 am
Heyy, im.not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but i need some help. I know that you are not supose to get pregnant soon after surgery. Ive also heard that birth control pills dont work as well in women who are over weight. My question is if this is true.. N what your experience has been. should i be looking for another for of birth controlor not. I know i should be speaking to a doctor but was just wondering what you guys think.. Thanks for ur answers in advance.
kc82
on 8/14/13 3:24 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

I've also heard something along those lines, although my surgeon OK'd me to use birth control pills, which I am currently using. I don't have any children yet and would like to have them in the future and my OB said that she wouldn't recommend the IUD's for me for that reason. So birth control pills it is. Now I'm just hoping that they don't fail me lol.

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 8/14/13 3:28 am
VSG on 11/25/13 with

i'm not sure about that specifically, but my surgeon requires that you go off birth control pills a month before and after the surgery due to an increased chance of blood clots.

danixbanani
on 8/14/13 4:11 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I'm on birth control and I didn't have to come off of it nor did I need a secondary form of birth control.  I think everyone's surgeon is different and you should talk to him/her about it.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Tracy D.
on 8/14/13 4:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's what birth control experts know for sure (and yes, I work in one of those places)....women with high BMIs are not as protected against unintended pregnancy when using the Ortho Evra patch or the Nuvaring.  So far, there is nothing in the literature that states pills are less effective for women with high BMIs.  There's been some discussion around the fact that the super-obese may be less protected, but there are no definitive studies at this time. 

The most important thing with pills is that you take it every day at the SAME TIME every day. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Nikke2003
on 8/14/13 4:26 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

As you can see... different surgeons will have different opinions! My surgeon's office said that they couldn't "guarantee" that an oral contraceptive would be as effective, so that I should consider something else. Essentially, they are 100% sure it will work the way it should, so better to be safe than sorry!

I just got the Nexplanon implant... because like another poster mentioned, I don't have kids yet and would like them... so I was told to consider something other than an IUD!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Akidd1012
on 8/14/13 6:10 am - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

I have been overweight my entire adulthood... And for the past ten years I have been 250+. I have been on birth control pills since I was 15 years old. I have went on and off over the years. But when I do that my PCOS acts up. Cyst form, no period... And pain! Now... I have been pregnant twice. The first time in 2002 I purposely went off of my BC pills to get pregnant. I had a miscarriage. The second time I was taking the pill... But I guess god had other plans because I now have a 19 month old son! But for ten years I went without getting pregnant. I have tried the patch and it did not work for me, because of my size. But I never had any issues with the pill working for me... Up until the pregnancy.. Lol! 

Kathy-cny
on 8/14/13 8:08 am - NY
VSG on 06/25/13

I am 50 yrs old and always had irregular periods, had to see a fertility doctor to have my daughter 13 yrs ago....so now my doc won't give me BCP,or any hormone type...only will suggest the barrier method, I have used the Today Sponge in the past, so we had to go find it in the drug stores.....anyone ever see the Seinfeld episode about the Today Sponges and Elaine.....makes me laugh every time I see it...

come on menopause!

Kathy     HW-393/Surgery weight-368/ weight post op 374 /current weight 292.5

VSG on 06/12/13
Loved that episode! "Sponge worthy"... Hehehehehe

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/13 11:31 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

I used Nuva Ring, which goes in vaginally. I've been on it before my surgery but my doc recommended it even after because if you use the pill it doesn't break down normally. So, I have that and also we use condoms, I am very careful because we don't have any children yet and I had my surgery back in Feb. 2013 so I don't want to chance anything.

Most Active