Eat more carbs to break a stall? Opinions....

G5x5
on 9/3/13 3:37 am - VA

So 13 years ago I matched my current results via exercise and a quality diet.  During that stretch I once stalled for 14 days even though I was exercising extensively (1 hour cardio daily plus weights 4 days/week), drinking the right amount of water and eating a very tight package of food specifically planned out (with no cheats!).

As I recall, I broke that stall by actually adding more carbs and calories to my day.  In an effort to gain results, I think I had trimmed my total calories to under 1,000/day.  So on a hunch, and after some reading, I added like 200 calories, many of which came from carbs, and the stall broke almost immediately.

So, those with experience in stalls, what are your thoughts on breaking the stall along these lines?  Again, for the sake of this exercise, let's assume water intake, exercise and food logging are all under way and going as needed.  I just want to focus on people's thoughts about whether adjusting food choices can have an effect on a stall.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Nikke2003
on 9/3/13 3:45 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I'm no vet or expert... however, I have had a few stalls in my almost 4 months since surgery and 6 months of dieting to prepare for surgery. During that time, I just kept doing what I was doing and after 7-9 days, it broke. The only thing I have ever increased is my water intake and exercise.

Personally, I think it would be difficult for me to increase carbs or calories to get a stall to break and then go back down. So... if I then maintain that intake... what happens when the next stall comes around?

This is just my newbie take on it. There are a lot more experienced people on these boards that also do a lot more research than me... so definitely consider a bit of what everyone has to say and then decide what is best for you!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Jackie T.
on 9/3/13 3:48 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

In my opinion only, yes adjusting food choices can have an effect on a stall but ...... I up my protein and water, not my carbs.  I have to admit that carbs are a scary thing to me.  I don't want to get back into my old bad habits so I am trying to keep them more limited as long as I can.

You have to do what is right for you.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Shagdoll
on 9/3/13 4:01 am

Carbs are a funny thing.  If you decide to increase carbs, just take caution because if anyone is like me, when I increase my carbs, I want more.  Some people don't have this problem but I do.  I  would take the above poster's advice & just increase water & protein intake.  It can help just as well but not cause you to have to go thru a carb detox after the stall. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Keith L.
on 9/3/13 4:10 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Do the same thing, only with fat. If you are eating low carb and you have stalled and you are getting your water in, you need to increase your fats not carbs. Yes it may work to do some carb cycling. It has worked for me, but its a challenge getting back on track after you have given your body the taste of easy energy. You can accomplish the same thing with fat. Not as much fun but you should get the same results.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Tracy D.
on 9/3/13 4:12 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm sure others will have lots of ideas and I hope that someone jumps on here to give you the more scientific explanation of stalls, breaking them and why adding carbs isn't a great plan (it all escapes me right now but I remember reading it). 

However, I just recently went through a 10-day stall.  I don't know if what I did "broke" it or it would have broken anyway...but I actually increased my fats, which did increase my calories to 850-900.   I added in some avocado and nuts for three days and then went back to a very strict plan of 600-700 calories and - boom - scale dropped by almost 2 lbs. in two days.

Again, not sure that adding fats was magical for me but I know I wasn't getting enough. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

frisco
on 9/3/13 4:30 am

Keep it simple...... Stay consistent......

Wig waging is for amateurs..... you end up wigging when you shoulda been wagging......

Consistency wins in the long run......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MeSkinny8
on 9/3/13 4:49 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Protein, protein and more protein and lots of water are the key with what Frisco said. 

Spencerella
on 9/3/13 5:08 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
Stalls are a natural part of the weight loss process. Keep doing what you were doing and it will end on its own.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/13 7:11 am

I don't subscribe to the add carbs, up your calories system. What I do believe is that you can up your protein within your current calorie range (which would mean lowering carbs a bit or take a little fat out of your diet) and push your water to at least 100 ounces per day. Anytime I wanted to accelerate my weight loss that is what I did.

I find it very hard to add calories and then cut them back out. That's one of the reasons diets didn't work very well for me.

I also believe that if you just stay the course you will be rewarded with weight loss.

Just my two cents.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views