1 week post op... embarrassing question

shellyb1203
on 9/28/13 8:31 pm, edited 9/28/13 8:42 pm
VSG on 09/20/13
I am one week and two days post op. I have noticed that every morning when I wake up my urine is very dark. Sometimes it even appears orange. Is this normal??? Doesn't happen the rest of the day.
G5x5
on 9/28/13 8:43 pm - VA
When are you stopping your water the night before? It's generally an indicator of how well hydrated you are. Is probably clear the rest of the day because you are taking in water better during the day but overnight you aren't (while sleeping).

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

katym
on 9/28/13 8:49 pm - PA

Hi Shelly,

Think of drinking as your job right now. How much liquid are you getting each day? Water needs to be the priority now, even more than protein. Are you sipping water around the clock, not just during the day? Keep a water bottle within reach 24/7, even on your nightstand. During my first month of recovery I did not sleep so well. I tried to take advantage of this by drinking some water every single time I woke up. Sip, sip, sip.... Dark urine is a sign your body needs more water. 

You can do this, but if problem persists call the doctor before serious dehydration sets in.

all the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

VSG on 06/12/13
Drink, drink, drink, drink! I used to be bad about getting water in preop and I saw that color. Again, based on my preop experience, I am willing to bet if you had labs drawn right now you'd be at least a little dehydrated but not so much to require an iv. You don't want it to go any further than this so do what you need to do to get those liquids in!

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Deckeriv
on 9/28/13 10:18 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

It's probably a lack of water, but could also be from the massive amounts of vitamins you are probably taking. Your kidney processes the excess vitamins and expels them in your urine. If you are getting in 80+ oz of fluids a day, it might not be dehydration. It could also be ketosis. So what you are seeing is fat coming out through your urine. I remember the various colors and smells the first few months. Lots of stuff going on in your body right now...and it's all good.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Imakitekat
on 9/28/13 11:18 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Deckeriv,
That's a great observation about ketosis makung your urine a diferent color or the vitamins. I am not getting all my water in and am stressing about it but what you said makes much more sense so thank you......
Cindy B.
on 9/29/13 2:58 am
VSG on 10/22/12

If you have taken too many B vitamins, they will show up in your urine and make it a bright yellow color. I've noticed this when I've taken a super B complex vitamin on top of my multi vitamin. Maybe it's a combination of vitamins and not getting in enough fluids. The fluid intake will get easier the further out you get.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Machelle.K
on 9/29/13 2:20 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

What helped me was to drink throughout the night. That's it just wake up and drink. I've continued this practice and I'm almost 11 months post op.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

shellyb1203
on 10/1/13 1:55 am
VSG on 09/20/13

I am thinking that it may be a combination of all those things.   Since I take the multivitamin at night before bed that could be contributing.   Also, I have added drinking through the night when I wake up.  Seems to be helping.  I have been losing about 2lbs a day so I guess the ketones could very well be it too.  I guess drink drink drink and then drink some more!   

Thank you all for your help.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views