Need some advise about low energy - 3 weeks out.

cheryls222
on 10/8/13 3:35 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Hi all,

I am 3 weeks out and started back to work yesterday.

I am finding that first thing in the morning I have very little energy. It is a struggle to get ready and had to rest part way through. I was shakey until about 10:00 then had a greek yogart and started feeling better.

I started the morning with a premier protein shake with 30 gms protein. 

As the day goes on and I eat more, my energy increases. I had this also happen a couple of days last week when I had to get up early and get moving.

I am thinking that my tank is empty and I need more calories first thing in the morning but thought I would throw it out to the group for some thoughts.

oh.... and I hit my first stall.  :(

Thanks,

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

mickeymantle
on 10/8/13 3:49 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

first it is normel to be low in energy for the first month or so your body went thru major shock and is still healing and you are also eating very little at first

make shore you are taking enough b 12 (it needs to be sublingual ,or shots , pills will not work after wls , low b 12 can make you anemic and also have low energy

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MsVonne
on 10/8/13 3:50 am - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

That is what is happening you have to take in food or protein every few hours because you can only take in very little and your body burns it off and you have to refuel.  I went through the same thing in my first few weeks.  You will be fine.

Ms Shell
on 10/8/13 3:51 am - Hawthorne, CA

First and foremost accept the fact that you JUST had major surgery.

Starting back to work is tiring.  Your body is USED to running on THOUSANDS of calories and now you are getting 1/3 of that of what you used to get.  So be patient.

Since everyone is different and YOUR body says maybe try more in the morning, then TRY MORE IN THE MORNING and see how it goes.

Stalls happen to many and suck =(

MS Shell

MsBobbiTX
on 10/8/13 3:59 am
VSG on 09/16/13

My surgery date was September 16.  I'm still tired but it gets better. Make sure you are getting something in you every few hours and get those vitamins and B12 in :)

Bloodshotbetty
on 10/8/13 3:59 am - minneapolis, MN

I was VERY lethargic the first month of surgery.  Work was very challenging to get through (I work with kids- gah!) but it does go away.  I started noticing an INCREASE in energy around month 3.  For me, if I let myself get dehydrated I feel verrryy sluggish.  I require myself to drink 24oz of water before I even TOUCH my coffee.

It will get better! I promise!

-Alycia-

cheryls222
on 10/8/13 3:59 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Thanks for the feed back. 

I am glad to hear it's normal.  Sounds like I am on the right track with needing to add more food/protein in the morning to fill my tank to jump start my system. I will play around with different items to see what works.

I am taking sublingual B12 once a day. 

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

MsBobbiTX
on 10/8/13 3:59 am
VSG on 09/16/13

Oh and WALK.  Even if you just take a few laps around the office slowly, it will energize you. 

Sandy M.
on 10/8/13 4:19 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Right at three weeks, my blood pressure plummeted, which made me a little dizzy and shaky.  My ankles swell, so I was continuing to take my diuretics after surgery, which are also prescribed for high blood pressure.  I didn't have high blood pressure, so taking them after surgery lowered my pressure to the point I got dizzy!  So until I was eating solid protein I stopped taking the diuretics.  

And just like everyone else said - this is normal.  Your body is recovering, so be kind to yourself.  In a couple of weeks you should see your energy levels returning to not just normal, but better than normal!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

TurnThePage
on 10/8/13 4:29 am

My cardiologist and surgeon agreed that I should stop taking the diuretics for CHF right after surgery because of my limited fluid intake. I'll be checking in with them at 6 weeks to see if they recommend any changes.

Most Active