2 days post op- please say it gets better

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/13 7:54 am, edited 10/11/13 7:56 am

Surgery went well, thank goodness. I have been having feelings of regret though. I have a few family members who have been sleeved and they think this is normal but I wanted to put it out there and see if any of you went through anything similar. I was up walking around well after surgery and did good day of. Starting yesterday I was in a lot of pain and having a lot of regrets. I am having thoughts of WOW why did I do this to myself. I am so nauseated, my stomach makes noises when I swallow and EVERY swallow comes back with a painful burp. I haven't puked yet but every sip makes my tongue salivate like it might happen. I do feel hungry but don't know how I will ever eat again if I am having such a hard time swallowing even water. I am feeling a little more positive this afternoon my determination kicked in and I am like, I am going to get this water in damnit! 

Anyway what days did everyone start feeling somewhat "normal", or at least close to your new normal? Thanks for reading and please DONT bash me I can not handle that right now

OregonGuy2012
on 10/11/13 7:59 am
VSG on 04/04/13

It does get better.  Each day tends to be better and better.  Soon you will be asking yourself, why did I wait so long to have this done.

Anne64
on 10/11/13 7:59 am
VSG on 06/19/13

It gets WAY better.....awesome even!  Hang in there

anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

sassylassie13
on 10/11/13 4:01 pm

I am scheduled for a VSG in December.  Reading all of this has really frightened me!!  How does one handle all of this nausea, etc?  Did you have a support system with you?  I had a lap band in 07 and it broke this past July.  I'm at 216 @ 5' 7".  My doctor recommended the sleeve whe he goes in to retrieve the broken band, but reading about this nausea & inability to swallow (what causes that?) makes me wonder if this is the right move for me.  All I have had is the initial consult with the surgeon.

LosingSarah
on 10/11/13 11:46 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Not everyone has nausea and/or swallowing problems according to my doctor. He said that most of his don't.  I'm pre-op, too (surgery in 4 days!).  While I hope I don't have any of these symptoms they will go away if I do, and my improved health will be worth any discomfort I may experience.

Good luck!

beej77
on 10/13/13 2:42 am

Not everyone has the nausea after surgery. I had my VSG Oct 1st , so I am almost 2 wks out. I was very luck because I never had one moment of nausea.  It is different for everyone.

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/13 8:00 am

Yes, hang in there, it just keeps getting better and better and better.  One day you will look back at this and barely remember any of the negatives, but the positives will feel almost overwhelming.  

mickeymantle
on 10/11/13 8:12 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it gets better in a few more days and much better when you get to eat real food

you might have acid talk to your surgeon about a ppi

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Debra M.
on 10/11/13 8:41 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
No bashing. I know how you are feeling. Suggestion: commit how you are feeling right now. Put the pain in your memory bank. Later when you are feeling all better and are thinking about eating things you shouldn't you will be able to retrieve this memory and ask yourself, do I really need to eat this after all I have gone through to get where I an today? Good luck with your recovery. You will feel better soon.

teachernikki
on 10/11/13 9:01 am - Lewiston, ME

Your description was exactly how I felt. The first few days are the worst, hang in there! Around day 5 you will feel so much better! Chin up!

HW: 330 ~  SW: 312 ~ CW: 282

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views