Boyfriend filed bankruptcy a year ago, how can he get financing for surgery?? :(

jennlg
on 10/16/13 4:59 am - Nashville, TN
My boyfriend had to file for bankruptcy last year due to losing his job and insurance and then having to have some surgeries and hospital stays. He can't seem to find anyone to give him a loan. Does anyone know how he may be able to do this? Or does anyone know of a surgeon who offers financing through their office (not care credit as he doesn't qualify) please help....he really needs this surgery. He has a good job now but his insurance doesn't cover it at all.

theladyelsie
on 10/16/13 6:07 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Chase has health care financing...I think its called Chase Health Advantage.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/16/13 6:12 am, edited 10/16/13 7:30 am

Agh, why would anyone want to get into any more debt just after filing for bankruptcy?   One of the repercussions of filing for bankruptcy is that no reasonable company, institution or whatever will loan you any monies due to the fact that you don't pay back and now opted out of ever paying back any debts.   He should go on a good old fashioned diet and exercise program for now - for FREE!  Later when he has insurance to cover this surgery he can go ahead and have it.  If he gets a lender to give him a loan, the fees and interest rates will be astronomical - like those crazy dental credit cards or pay day loans which I hear on the news were charging poor people up to 700%. There are many lenders like this.

All Best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

jacreasy
on 10/16/13 6:44 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Thats no all true... I filed now about 8 or 10 years ago and right at about 1 yr out credit card companies were sending me stuff in the mail Id get like 5 a week.  I'm not saying go out and get your self in debt again, but if I had to do it again to get a tummy tuck and they couldn't take my house or my car Id do it again. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, thats just my personal opinion. 

As for financing I would look into maybe some grants or a "religion:" hosp that will go based on your income for the difference.  Not sure what state you live in but there are a few here in VA that do that. Good Luck.

If he didn't need the surgery then he wouldn't be looking for help and "IF" going on a diet worked for some he wouldn't be looking into this at all

Best of Luck!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

luvbskts
on 10/16/13 8:36 am

Are you freaking kidding me....you would have surgery and stick the people with YOUR debt?  OMFG...people with this mentality really upset me!

jacreasy
on 10/18/13 3:54 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Is what it is.... And those people yeah sometimes you have to do what you have to do, sorry that upsets you. I didn't say I was going  to do it but if it came down to saving my life to have weight loss surgery which is what this persons post was about, hell yeah I WOULD DO IT!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Jj06
on 2/18/21 5:23 pm

I don't think this person asked for the negative comments. Maybe diet and exercise are not working as well but, honestly things happen and their are people willing to help. Just keep trying.

jennlg
on 10/16/13 6:54 am - Nashville, TN
Thank you to the first and third poster. And Zee, most times it is best to keep your negativity to yourself. You don't know what others are going through.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/16/13 7:20 am

Good luck to you!  Not being negative just being real. For some, maybe not in your case, it is horrible/traumatic to be in debt and have to resort to bankruptcy.  Collectors are  relentless!   I'm just saying - if it were me I couldn't do it for others it is no thing.  Money comes hard for me and I am single hence maybe my emotional reaction  Here in NYC, you can't even rent a place without a decent credit report.  And financial things seem to snowball once you run just a bit short - late fees, higher APR making the debt impossible to pay off, over the limit fees, fees just because.  To me that is terrifying. 

What I was feeling is that it is best to get on your feet first rather than have the burden of owing a huge debt again.  None of the big named banks  I guarantee will loan a new bankruptcy a loan.  And Yes, if I were in this particular position I'd go on my good old fashioned diet again and move as much as possible  in the meantime - who knows with new healthcare he may qualify for something really soon that will pay for WLS. 

Not being harsh about dieting it is what I did and what was free or lower cost - and what I need to do with my sleeve to lose the difference now is that my stomach has a bottom and I never get hungry.  For moderate price Weigh****chers and TOPS are good options.

Good luck!

I've been through a hell of a lot in my lifetime.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

luvbskts
on 10/16/13 8:32 am

She was not being negative...it just wasn't what you wanted to hear.

You boyfriend stuck people with his debt.  Maybe he should take what he'd spend on a loan payment, save it, and pay cash for his surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views