Four days out and doing pretty well! Can I move on to pureed?????

OutwithBenjiBoi
on 10/19/13 9:07 am - MD
VSG on 10/15/13

Hi, I was sleeved on Tuesday morning, and haven't had any complications at all. I've been walking about a mile a day since I got home on Thursday, and am working through the spasms by walking around the house. No pain meds since last night. Getting in about 40 oz of full liquids a day, including broth with protein power, jello, pudding, yogurt.

I haven't had any real food since last Saturday, and I would LOVE two tablespoons of scrambled eggs!!

I know I could drink yet another protein drink, but I'm SO TIRED of pseudo sweet stuff!!! How come everything on the full liquid diet is pseudo sweet? SF jello, popcicles, pudding, even the drinks (chocolate/vanilla protein drinks, Sobe, Chrystal Light?) I'm not normally a sweet eater, and I just can't take ONE MORE "dessert" substitute for real pureed FOOD.

I've lost 40 lbs total; 30 before the surgery on Oct 15, and 10 since. I'm disciplined, I promise!!

JB

Washington, DC

mickeymantle
on 10/19/13 9:21 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

what does your plan say , my plan allowed 3 month baby food, with no chunks, chicken and gravy , turkey and gravy  , if it went thru a strainer it was ok for me to eat , my plan skipped the pureed stage and went to full food after 2 weeks but recommended soft stuff , eggs , fish

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Imakitekat
on 10/19/13 9:22 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

It all depends on what your Dr. says.  Everyone's do toe progresses at different times.  I was on full liquids for two weeks.  Full liquids should include strained cream soups, puréed cottage cheese, milk, depending if your lactose intolerant, otherwise unsweetened soy, coconut or almond.  If you really want eggs you should call your on call doctor.  After only 4 days, I think eggs would just be too much, you really have to be gentle with your new tummy.   I know it's frustrating but give it time and patience.  Hopefully your dietician gave you a list of things you can eat on your full liquids.....do you like Greek yogurt?  You could add some sort of extract flavoring such as vanilla, mint or cinnamon that isn't sweet......best wishes..

Smiles:),

Lisa

Atl_Gadget_Grrl but u
can call me Charlotte

on 10/19/13 9:33 am, edited 10/19/13 9:35 am
VSG on 06/12/13
To echo the others, what's your doc say?

I was on liquids for 4 weeks, pureed for 2 more after that, and soft for 2 more beyond that. Regular foods after 8 weeks. That plan seems to be one of the more conservative approaches here.

Do you know/understand why we need to take it slow? Because we still have our pyloric valves, a lot of pressure builds up in the stomach. Liquids pass through pretty easily, but the more solid the consistency, the more pressure can build in the stomach. Advancing your diet too quickly can cause pressure to build and staples/stitches to rupture. And, as you know, leaks are very very serious business. Sepsis isn't fun and will definitely set you back.

So, stay put, suck it up, and follow doc's orders. If you don't know what they are, stay on current level until you talk to them on Monday.

Re: the sweet stuff, you might find relief in unjury chicken soup flavor. My lifesaver was french onion soup at that stage. I also found that pureeing soups (cream of chicken) passed the full liquids test and tasted good. My magic bullet blender became a good friend during this stage.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

frisco
on 10/19/13 9:56 am
That's a medical question that should be directed to your surgoen.
The first month is about the major healing time of the staple line. What your sick of or what you'd like to have should not be a factor.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

bugsy
on 10/19/13 12:29 pm
VSG on 10/10/13

I just had surgery on 10/10 so we aren't too far apart.  My surgeon had me do 3 days clear liquids and then 5 weeks of the Full liquid!  Needless to say I would love to "chew" something about now!  Anyways, besides grits and malt o meal, I found that Campbell's make a GREAT lowfat butternut squash soup.  It comes in a box (kind of like chicken broth does).  It is the right consistency and I think it adds a bit of savory to my diet.  You might give it a try.  I've found it at Walmart, Target, and Kroger here in TX.  It isn't cheap but hey...at 2 oz at a time it does last!

Mandy

Sutterbos
on 10/20/13 2:38 am
VSG on 06/21/12
Don't do it. Sure, you "might" be fine, but you might also damage your stomach. If you get a leak in your staple line you'll be in the hospital for about 6 weeks with a drain in your abdomen getting NO food at all. You'll be on IV nutrition while your stomach is allowed to heal from the damage you caused. Sorry to be tough, but if you are wanting to cheat at 4 days, you aren't that disciplined. How are you going to follow the VSG eating plan for the rest of your life? Hang in there, do what you're supposed to, and before you know it you'll be at the appropriate place in your recovery to eat those eggs.

diana44
on 10/20/13 9:12 am - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

I'm on the same plan as gadget-grrl as we share the same Doc.  I couldn't imagine putting anything other than liquid in my belly during the first week.  I graduated to pureed & had difficulty & had to back off and go back to full liquids and mushy foods.  I'm 8 wks out & can handle about 1 oz of pureed foods.

I'd check w/ your physician -- if you advance too quickly -- you'll pay the price (discomfort, nausea, vomitting, etc.).  So, I'd stick to what your doc recommends.  I have a friend who didn't stick to what his doc recommended & he's 8 mos out & is still having complications.  I don't wish to be an example of what not to do & possibly suffer long term effects.

My husband made some chicken soup & strained it and I would have that broth.  Another thing is he made a pot roast & strained the broth off of that & I had that.  Maybe that will get you through.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views