? For Vets

ababenoit
on 11/18/13 12:34 pm - LA
VSG on 04/08/13

I am .8 pounds from my goal! I am trying to figure out how to maintain and stop loosing weight. My dietician says my body is probably not going to stop loosing till it levels out and that at 7 months out I will probably still loose. What can I do to stop loosing without having to eat bad foods??? I can't get any help with this!

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 11/18/13 12:45 pm
VSG on 11/25/13 with

wow!  totally inspirational.  may i ask you what your surgery weight was, what your exercise routine is, and how much protein/water/carbs/fat you have a day?  i want to mimic your success =)

(sorry that i cannot answer your question about losing too much as i am still pre-op for another week)

Connie S.
on 11/18/13 12:51 pm - CA
VSG on 03/04/13

I have been working on this for about 6 weeks now, gradually adding 100 calories a day each week trying to level out.  I lost 2.5 pounds this week, so I am officially down 102 pounds, and at a weight of 106.  I will try to eat 1100 calories per day this week, but it is not that easy to do.  I am now at 8 months out.  I do find that increasing fat helps get in the calories, so you might consider that.  However, I am NOT a vet, just someone like you trying to figure this out.  Good luck.

HW 225  Consult weight 208. VSG 3/4/13 weight 176.4  Current weight 103  5'1" tall  Age 55 Goal weight of 108 reached in 7 months  

frisco
on 11/18/13 1:46 pm

Sounds like your on the right track....... adding healthy fats and dairy......

Secondary would be carbs like sweet potato and grains.

Try to add "content" with richer foods vs. quantity per meal..... you might consider adding a 200+ cal. meal.

My guess is that in your situation your balance starting point might be around 1500 cals. which would be a few hundred above the normal.

Hope this helps..... if you need some other tips you can PM me.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

califsleevin
on 11/18/13 1:59 pm - CA

Adding fats is a good start, and easy to do - moving from non - or low - fat products to higher fat or full fat is a good start (and helps with absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins. I increased the fat content of the greek yogurt blend that I make (the whole fat version is too low in protein for my needs, so I blend to get a better nutritional compromise) and started increasing the amount of fruits and nuts added to my yogurt snacks (which previously had only token amounts of those items.) Peanut or other nut butters are good to add as a snack as they are high in caloric density and in healthy fats. I also added back in a sixth meal/snack that I had dropped early on in the loss phase as un-needed for my protein needs but is now a good way to add to the needed calories.

On eating techniques, you can revisit some of our basic rules and assumptions about weight loss eating - we do "protein first" during the loss phase both to ensure our minimum protein intake as well as promoting satiety to minimize our intake - look toward moving the protein a bit later in the meal, or combining it with some veg or grains with some sauces to give it a some slider quality to it - many healthy foods serve as sliders as well as the chips and twinkies that we have been avoiding - and sauces often work as a "meat lube" to help it move things through more easily without taxing our capacity . I often have meat and veg salads, stir frys and chili type dishes to get in enough calories and nutrition without getting over-full. These are some good things to do as they are also easy to reverse and go back to more basic meats and protein-first rules if you need to cut back on calories later on.

Congrats on successfully getting this far, and now transitioning to this new phase!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/13 7:50 pm - Canada

Just a thought because I have no idea what I'm doing lol! But could you add a protein shake with a higher carb count?  Through years of dieting I kept getting told to not drink my calories because you can consume so many.  But in this case maybe it would help?

SteveWebb
on 11/18/13 11:02 pm - NC

Man what a good problem to have.  I envious because I haven't had surgery yet.  You've don great and should be very proud.  Hopefully you will be able to level out at a weight that is good for you.  I put down 190 pounds for myself.  The weight charts show about 170 for my height.  I will check my BMI and fat content when I get to 190 if I see I still need to lose more then I will.  I just want to have a healthy body fat, Best wishes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 261 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 325 views