Do you tell people you had weight-loss surgery?

RPH
on 8/31/14 12:40 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Hi All - My surgery is scheduled in 2 days.  I am a private person and I cannot imaging sharing my decision to have surgery with anyone other than my husband and one very close friend.  It's such a personal decision but of course everyone can see that I am obese and the result of my surgery will be visible (unlike prostate, hammertoe, hemorrhoid, hysterectomy, or many other surgeries that a patient likely wouldn't readily share with others)  I am a pathological truth teller (if there is such a thing) and I cringe at the inevitable questions I'll get about how I'm losing weight.  I don't want to lie but I don't want to share.  I'm especially worried about people who are struggling with obesity themselves.  I don't want to cause them shame because they see my weight-loss and wonder why they can't do it by self-control alone.  I thought I'd reach out to this community and ask how have you dealt or plan to deal with this?

Jennsumner722
on 8/31/14 1:25 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

Nope only a select few ppl know that I did. I don't think it's anyone's business,  plus I don't want to be judged for what I chose to do to make me healthier! 

RPH
on 8/31/14 1:28 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Great point, thanks for sharing.

Jennsumner722
on 8/31/14 1:30 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

*I tell ppl I am on a high protein, low carb diet and have an exercise plan. 

RPH
on 8/31/14 1:59 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks for sharing.

veggiegal10
on 8/31/14 1:40 pm

By and large, I haven't either.  I too felt it wasn't anyone's business.  I know many people, who likewise prefer to be open and honest, have found a way to breach the subject with people when they asked or prompted the conversation themselves. 

I know people have pre-conceptions about the surgery (as being an easy way out or being a "cop-out").  When people asked me, I told them I worked out more and/or that I was eating better.  It still plays into the fact that some people think our weight is solely due to not having self-control or being lazy but it was something I could live with telling people.  I asked a while back about how and at what point in a relationship to break it to boyfriends for many of the same reasons (judging, misconceptions etc).  Many people said that guys won't care.  I'm not entirely convinced but its something that's going to come up at some point whether I like it or not.

If you don't feel comfortable, don't say anything.  After a while, people will move on.  Good luck on your journey!

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

RPH
on 8/31/14 1:58 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks so much for sharing.  It is a tricky subject. 

Calaska
on 8/31/14 1:46 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

This is such a hot topic. I only told family and close friends, as well as my small, close knit group at work. If Im asked how I've lost weight, I'll tell them. I'm not ashamed, but I also don't like the ignorant responses. I got one of those from my brother, to which I responded, "what exactly do you know about this procedure?"  That left him dumbfounded with no response. I explained that I've done a year of research and it was a decision reached between my doctor any myself. On the positive side, you can't predict how other obese people will feel. They may be interested in seeing a successful person who has had WLS, and may consider it for themselves. Think of yourself as a successful WLS ambassador!  There have been a plethora of discussions on this topic. Do a search on OH and you'll find lots of good reading. Good luck!

~Jan

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

RPH
on 8/31/14 1:55 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks for sharing your perspective and experience.  I'm new to the community and I will do a search on OH.

Calaska
on 8/31/14 3:52 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I read and asked questions on OH for a year.  It is such a great resource, but remember that just because you hear a lot of something, doesn't make it the true majority. Keep on with OH, you will really benefit!

~Jan

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views