Do you tell people you had weight-loss surgery?

RPH
on 9/1/14 4:19 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Absolutely.  Thanks for taking the time to share.  Congrats on your success and good luck to you as well.

Dizzybell
on 9/1/14 2:14 am
VSG on 05/05/14

I haven't even told my family (my husband knows of course) but my mother and sisters don't. My coworkers know that I had surgery on my stomach and with the weight loss I am sure that they draw their own inferences. I get asked "how much have you lost?" and told "you look great!" from them but I don't talk about it. I am a very private person, and although I love my family they can be the judgiest of all. If someone considering it were to honestly come up to me and ask about the surgery, I would talk to them honestly about it. I don't lie, I just don't talk about it. To me, it is nobody's business. Maybe because I work in healthcare people are used to respecting privacy? 

--Keri--

HW: 275 SW:272 CW: 165.3

RPH
on 9/1/14 4:20 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks for sharing.  Congrats on your success.

honorable3161
on 9/1/14 4:53 am - Stone Mountain, GA
VSG on 09/08/14

Hi inho I told my family, fiancee now she wants to have it...  not my best friend yet because he knows what happen before he is obese himself and I believe he could benifit from wls I want him to see me doing good and I pray it will motivate him to do it as well  I didn't tell my children  yet because I lost my first wife and I their mother after having gastric bypass not due to the surgery just not following the plan..... if people think this is the easy way out there is NOTHING EASY ABOUT WLS!!!!! And I will tell other obese people that sometimes diet and exercise is Not enough...... 

VSG 09/08/2014  God brought to it he will bring you through it!!!! Heaven Bound 

RPH
on 9/1/14 11:18 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks for sharing your experience.

MegZorar
on 9/1/14 6:11 am

Ironically, I told the folks at work. They're not the nicest bunch. Didn't want to treat the surgery as a secret that they'd eventually find out about and then use to embarrass me. So now it's out and I feel zero need to explain. Aside from that, I told my family. Seems like a personal choice, and everyone will have their own take on the best approach. Do whatever is right for you. Good luck!

RPH
on 9/1/14 11:17 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks for sharing and the well wishes.

SATXVSG
on 9/1/14 10:10 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I was not going to tell anyone other than my boss and my family.  But, after reading some comments on OH,  I decided that if anyone of size asked me how I was doing it, I had to answer with complete honesty.  Someone on here has said imagine how someone would feel if you told someone of size that you were exercising and watching what you ate and you were succeeding and they were trying the same and failing.

Shortly after coming to this realization, I told someone at work what I had done after telling them previously I was doing diet and exercise.  Once I did, she shared that she was considering surgery and now I am helping her through her WLS journey.  Her surgery is tomorrow.

I have to say, I am a pretty private person and sharing my story was tough, but I think it was the best thing to do.  I don't even have a FB page as I hate having my picture on the internet.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

RPH
on 9/1/14 11:14 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks for sharing.

BurberryPlaid
on 9/1/14 10:36 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

My surgery is scheduled for 9/29 and I've only shared with a few people at this point. 

I did tell my team (I manage 11 people) I am having surgery but did not get specific and was surprised that no one pushed it. I am not sure if I will tell people later as the affects of the surgery become more visible. If I am confronted by someone who might benefit from it then I think I will, but we'll see. For now the plan is to keep it private. 

Most Active