Do you tell people you had weight-loss surgery?

Justme7
on 8/31/14 2:46 pm - ID

I am just a really private and "mysterious" person. You could ask people where I work to list 2 personal things about me and they would struggle coming up with something. 

Justme7

RPH
on 8/31/14 2:57 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Understood.  Privacy is a valuable thing.

lovingme9908
on 8/31/14 3:56 pm, edited 8/31/14 3:56 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

Hi!

I think it depends on your personality. My brother was very open about his journey. I have told only a few people.  My manager knows that I will be out for surgery, but don't know the type of surgery. In my opinion, it's no one's business. Good luck on your journey! 

RPH
on 8/31/14 3:59 pm
VSG on 09/03/14

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Sara T.
on 8/31/14 4:19 pm
with

I plan on telling anyone not very close to my I'm on a doctor supervised program designed for me with medical help period. Not a lie not an invasion of my privacy. 

RPH
on 9/1/14 3:51 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Thanks and good luck.

alabamaorthogirl
on 8/31/14 5:37 pm - AL
VSG on 02/19/13

I think it is a personal choice. Once you start losing weight everyone will be asking you how you lost the weight. I got so sick of this question. I understand it but people I didn't really know would ask and they all want details. So, get ready for the questions.

RPH
on 9/1/14 3:51 am
VSG on 09/03/14

Thank you.

more2adore
on 8/31/14 6:04 pm
VSG on 03/28/15

So many people think diet and exercise alone work well if you really try, because they know someone who knows someone who lost a hundred pounds that way.

I wonder how many of those people that think they know someone who did that actually know someone who had WLS and is hiding it. (Probably a lot!)

I agree - there would be less stigma around WLS if people really understand that after a certain point it is truly all that works. The problem is no one wants to stand up and take the potshots that are a result of the current existing stigma in order to help it lessen in the future - and understandably so. 

When I took a job, apparently the HR Director said to my boss that she wasn't sure if he should hire me because at my size, I was probably just looking to get the job benefits in order to have weight loss surgery and then leave. I was incredibly, incredibly hurt by that at the time (I was strongly anti-WLS at that point). I also saw people badmouth someone who had RNY at a meeting one time. "She had that surgery, but she's still so fat. What was the point? *snicker*" I was new to the job and wasn't in a position to stand up for her at that point. Granted, she was a horrendous person, but there were many other things she could have legitimately been criticized on (or, you know, my workplace could have stopped being so high-school and encouraging people to talk about others behind their backs... but that will never happen. So glad I'm out of there!).

RPH
on 9/1/14 3:54 am
VSG on 09/03/14

People can be jerks sometimes.  Thanks for sharing.

Most Active