2nd Day Post Op! Good Day but Slightly Confused.....

KimmyKat3
on 10/30/14 4:19 am - Yonkers, NY
VSG on 10/28/14

Hey Everyone!! I got home yesterday, after only spending one night in the hospital. I was totally against leaving so soon, but I was happy to be home. I woke up in my own bed this morning, in soooo much pain. I started my vitamin regimen( which was fine, but I hope it won't be a pain in the butt once I get the hang of it). I also took my pain meds, which was very very nice lol... and went for a nice snail like walk at around 9am. It was beautiful. I love the fall, and it proved to me that this was the right thing to do. I was just listening to my Pandora stations. The pain did not even exist into my second lap around my neighborhood. As soon as I got home I knocked out for like 3 hours. About to go on my second walk of the day soon.

I've been trying to sip a medicine cup full of liquids every hour. And can not take more than that. When I left the doctor said I was still on my Clear liquid Diet. But my papers also say that 2/3 days after surgery I start my Full liquids Diet.

Have a few Questions...

1) When did everyone start their puree diet?

2) When should I start drinking my protein?

3) Did anyone have problems taking their multivitamins, calcium. and B12?

KimmyKat

bellejar
on 10/30/14 5:00 am

I am day 3 post op as well and I had some of the same questions! Congratulations on your surgery and crisp fall walk.

1. My Dr. said to start purée second week home (so next Monday) but on the liquid diet plan that I was given, I am allowed SF yogurt, SF jello and ice pops, and no sugar applesauce. 

2. I have begun this already since I have to get a lot of liquids in, I make large icy protein drinks and sip them all day. I stop 30 minutes before having applesauce or yogurt (which took me nearly 2 hours to finish on each of them!)

3. I am also wondering about when to start vitamins. I have heard the iron can cause constipation.

4. Speaking of... Any advice on how to lesson the constipation first week out? I have been drinking a lot of fluids and walking to toleration. Is it ok to take stool softners or something more robust?

Height: 4'9" Surgery Date: 10/28/2014 Pre 2 Week Liquid Diet Weight: 301.5 Day Of Sugery Weight: 290 Current Weight: 242.5 (2/15/15)

KimmyKat3
on 10/30/14 5:33 am - Yonkers, NY
VSG on 10/28/14

Congratulations on your surgery!!

1) Yes, I am allowed the SF jello, and ice pops. Not the yogurt or applesauce yet.

2) See I'm super jealous you can start your protein. Those icy drinks sound amazing. Oh and believe me I totally understand how long it can take to finish lol

3)According to my Dr. I'm supposed to start my vitamin regimen the day after I come home from the hospital. With the Iron, I was not supposed to start it until I got the ok from my Dr. during my first post-op appointment in 3 weeks. For the constipation, they suggest Milk of Magnesia.

4) Like I said Milk of Magnesia is best, but also Gas-X is good for bloating.

Thanks for the Advice! I really appreciate it! Hope some of this helped you

KimmyKat

SandyB_in_CA
on 10/30/14 1:14 pm
VSG on 10/20/14

I had my surgery on the 20th. I still cant tolerate cold liquids or very much at one time. I started my protein Thursday, so far to day I get one 11oz protein drink in and still working on getting enough water. I can have SF Jello and pudding. I tried about 3 bites last night.  I don't start pureed foods until Monday. Cant wait.

Congratulations on your surgery and Good Luck

rumpole6
on 10/30/14 5:21 am

They sent me home with a prescription for stool softenor. Sennakot Plus. I think. It didn't really work so we tried a combination of Miralax and Milk of Magnesia (Yuck). It took 2 days for the Milk of magnesia to work but eventually it did.

2nd, I started drinking protein shakes (out of those little medicine cups) the day after I got home from surgery

3rd, I started Puree's 2 weeks post op. ie this week.

4th, the only problem with taking the vitamins is remembering because I need to spread them out during the day.

Your Milage may vary and listen to your body and your Dr.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

KimmyKat3
on 10/30/14 5:38 am - Yonkers, NY
VSG on 10/28/14

This definitely helps. I'll start having some of the protein this evening. And the puree's in the 2nd week sound amazing. I would not be able to handle that now at all! The vitamins will be a chore, but I'm sure will get easier.

Thank  You

KimmyKat

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/30/14 6:08 am - MI

Hi kimmy! Everyones program is different, but as soon as I left the hopsital I began full liquids. This is for two weeka. After this I do soft foods/puree for two weeks. I began drinking my protein as soon as I got home home from the hopsital. I have had no problems with the vitamins and calcium. I don't love the taste but they go down fine.

Gwen M.
on 10/31/14 3:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

1. I started purees two weeks post-op.  I was on full liquids for the first two weeks.  I was only on clear liquids in the hospital.  

2. When your surgeon says - call and ask if you're uncertain.  I started as soon as I got home.  Try warm or hot liquids if cold ones are challenging.  

3. My plan had me starting these things at week 2, and I've never had any issues taking them.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TheNewT
on 10/31/14 3:36 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Congratulations to you and welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Now to answer your questions....

1. My surgeon did not have a puree stage. After 10 days of full liquids I went to "regular" food. I started on soft things like tuna and eggs and chewed them very well.

2. When I left the hospital I was on full liquid so that included my protein shake. If you are questioning what day to start I would call the surgeon's office or your NUT (whoever came up with your plan). I'd hate to lead you astray on this one.

3. My surgeon only recommends a multi-vitamin for the first year...since my pre-op labs were good. I used a gummy vitamin. 

I will state that I had my blood work done and my PCP noted my B1 and B12 are low. I had my first B12 shot today. I am taking a B complex which I am struggling to swallow b/c the smell is terrible. I plan to switch to sublingual for B12.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views