Did those of you who love carbs still succeed?

pengworm
on 11/3/14 4:53 am

I am a carb addict. I love bread, pasta, potatoes, rice and sweets. I know that for this surgery refined carbs are a nono and that there just isn't room for that crap. I understand it and feel like I could do it but I fear that in the long run I'd have problems. Are there any of you who were carbaholics that have still done well being sleeved?

Stacy_WLS
on 11/3/14 4:58 am

Knock on wood -- so far so good.  I was / still am shocked by how much I don't miss a lot of carbs.  Bread, pasta, pizza do not call to me so much anymore, but I really devoured them before.  The sugary stuff still calls my name (more so than before), so that I think will always be a struggle * but an easier one than pre op.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

ElizaM
on 11/3/14 5:08 am, edited 11/3/14 5:08 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I had a real problem with carbs, especially bread and pasta. They were my kryptonite and my self-medication. Having a bad day? Eat a big bowl of rice. Too tired to make dinner? Order pizza. And I would be a hungry hungry hippo after eating thousands of calories of sweets and starches. Even pre-op, I could eat 1000 low carb calories with no problem, and eat 3000-5000 calories worth of carbs and be RAVENOUS.

I am still just starting out so I don't know what the long run will look for me, but I will say that near total abstinence has done away with many of my cravings. I have never eaten so few carbs for so long, and I was a big low carb booster before I had my surgery. I also am creative and have low carb substitutes for the things I miss the most. I have a low carb pizza casserole I make on Fridays. Yes, I miss bread sometimes, but my health is more important. 

I focus on what I CAN have instead of what I can't. I can have yummy meats, cheeses, yogurt, and vegetables. I can have ribeye steak. I can have butter. I can have lobster and clams and oysters.  

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/3/14 5:09 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My last meal on earth would be mashed potatoes.  I love them more than anything else.

I have not eaten them since surgery.  I found a substitute that gives me their consistency and I add lots of seasonings for flavor - mashed cauliflower.

I loved pasta too.  I haven't eaten it either.  I use a device called the Veggetti to make noodle-like threads from zucchini or yellow squash.

Vegg

Rice I reserve for the very occasional sushi.  I prefer sashimi anyway, so one or two pieces of roll on occasion is plenty enough for me.

Having the sleeve can make you look for alternatives for the foods you enjoy now.  The problem with carbs is they aren't filling and lead to more cravings.  It's better to reduce them as much as possible from your daily food consumption, but eat them on special occasions.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Emilyr0011
on 11/3/14 7:37 pm
That thing is fabulous, now I know what I want for Christmas

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

Lady1000
on 11/3/14 5:18 am

I think that the majority of us suffer from this carb and sugar addiction.  Pre op diet and the first few days after surgery were difficult carb and sugar craving days for me.    I had definite withdrawal symptoms!   It does get better, I do not crave carbs as much any longer.   I just take one day at a time, only time will tell how well I deal with it long term but  focusing on the protein  and keeping  protein snacks on hand has helped me.   

5 years of waiting and I finally have my sleeve!!!!

Dr Rodolofo Wilhelmy VSG September 2014 

ElizaM
on 11/3/14 6:11 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Also, some people will say that eating carbs in moderation is okay. Obviously, if that works for them, more power to them! But to me, I really think they are addictive, and we would never say to an alcoholic or a smoker to drink or smoke in moderation. I think for many of us, moderation doesn't really make sense. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

frisco
on 11/3/14 7:19 am

True true!!!

Moderation is the most dangerous word in weight management !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Kate -True Brit
on 11/4/14 7:34 pm - UK
On November 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, frisco wrote:

True true!!!

Moderation is the most dangerous word in weight management !

frisco

Different people, different methods.  Moderation worked for the 15 months it took me to lose all my excess weight; with two blips, it has worked for the 7 years of maintaining. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

trinoc
on 11/3/14 7:31 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Agree with this and Frisco!  I did not get to morbid obesity by being a master at moderation.  I don't mess with it.  I consider myself a weight loss success and I plan on being a maintenance success.  For me, this means that I will have no processed carbs and will have a few whole grain/whole food carbs to help w/ blood sugar stabilization (it's working!) and "regularity".  I still keep my carb count very low...in the 50-80 range most days.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views