How do you make time for exercise?

Banana14
on 11/10/14 9:30 pm

Morning all!

So I currently work a 5 day work week that allows me plenty of time for exercising. However, in a few weeks the hospital will be switching me to four ten hour shifts (8-6:30). I'm worried that exercising only three days a week won't be enough and wonder how/what you guys do to make time for exercise?

S.

SATXVSG
on 11/10/14 9:42 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Do what you can on the days you work.   I get up early and get in a 30-50 minute walk/run.   If you have a heard time getting motivated, just tell yourself, I will go for 5-10 minutes.  Getting started is the hardest part.

This morning I did 5K in 47 minutes.  It is amazing how good it makes me feel at work.  I never believed in endorphins before, but now I am a believer.  I live in South Texas so I realize I probably have better weather in the mornings than others.  Tomorrow it is going to be cold here with a low of 38. 

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Valerie G.
on 11/10/14 9:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I never was a big fan of organized exercise, so I choose to be active with purpose.  I love being active outdoors and always have a couple of projects going on.  My job is also very active, so I am not living my free time like a hamster on a wheel.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mmsmom
on 11/11/14 12:09 am - Woburn, MA

do you get a lunch hour?  My co-workers and I walk at lunch.

VSG on 04/28/2014

wyo_sarah
on 11/11/14 12:49 am

I was going to ask the same question.  I posted yesterday about dealing with stress and most people suggested exercise.  I know I'm supposed to exercise, but I haven't found the time yet.  I'm going to start slow, I'm thinking about 15 minutes a day.  Right now I get up at 5 and go to bed at 10 and don't have a moment to spare.  I don't get a lunch break, I spend at least 2 hours a day in my car driving to and from different places where I work, and I have two little kids.  So, if you find an answer, let me know!

Stacy_WLS
on 11/11/14 1:25 am

I have a fit bit.  When I was first trying to get back into working out I wore it. I was working 80 hours a week and traveling all the time.  I promised I would never go to bed w/o 10K steps.  Sometimes that meant pacing my hotel room for 20 minutes before going to bed. 

I quickly started parking further away, taking the stairs, taking longer walks around the office.  It doesn't need to be at the gym for it to be exercise!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Tracy D.
on 11/11/14 2:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm going to suggest you just don't stress over it.  If you are working in a hospital I'm betting you get in a ton more steps per day than you think you do.  Unless you have a desk job like me :-(

I started small - for the first 10 months post-op I got up at 5:00 a.m. every morning and did 20 minutes of something:  kettlebell, Pilates, treadmill.  That was it!  I had to be out the door at 6:45 to be at work at 7:30 a.m.  

I'm much more likely to do something in the morning than after I get home from work.  Figure out where you can carve out 20 minutes a day and commit to it.  On the days you don't work make plans for more activity but be realistic on what you can acheive on long work days and be gentle with yourself.  

Remember, the battle of the bulge is won in the kitchen, NOT in the gym!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 11/11/14 7:06 am

School teacher here... I start my day by leaving my house by 6:15 a.m., return home 5:30-6:30 with a couple hours of "homework" a night. I am tired, tired, tired some days. What works for me is simply setting my goal of "20 minutes". No matter how tired I am or how busy, I can manage 20 minutes. Then, 90% of the time once I have started I make it to my comfort zone of 60 minutes (or more). I am not supposed to exercise right now, but dangit- my stress level is ridiculous right now so i am hitting the elliptical and praying it doesn't cause me issues with the double mastectomy before my next surgery... and it feels great!   You can do it! Make yourself a priority!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

SandyB_in_CA
on 11/11/14 1:51 pm
VSG on 10/20/14

I am 3 weeks and 1 day post op. (10/20/14). I have had great friends to keep me motivated, but I have not yet returned to work (go back on Sat) and I have been trying to figure out a plan. I am also in the medical field (RN in a dialysis clinic).

So this morning I came up with a plan that I will work towards for the remainder of the month and then re-evaluate. I live an hour from work, and my shifts start and varying times 4am or 7am. 

Plan: If I work the early shift I will make a point to walk on the treadmill when I get home. If I work the late shift I will walk before I go into work.

I am currently doing 45 mins on the treadmill, I know that's not realistic if I am working a 12 hour day plus 2 hours commuting. So work days I walk 20 mins. Non work days I continue with my 45mins

So I am hoping for me that having a plan and putting it on a schedule will help.

Good luck finding what is going to work for you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views