Post-op Blues

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 6:34 am - Ocala, FL

I understand that and I am sorry if you took that comment as being specifically directed at you.  It was not. 

Gwen M.
on 1/23/15 8:00 am, edited 1/23/15 8:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I hope that you read the rest of Tracy's comment and saw all the great advice as well as the comment about eating the sub.  

There's another poster here who just made a post about his surgeon making him cry at his followup due to insufficient loss - he ate a taco shortly after his operation.  Sometimes support comes with a side salad of reality.  It's too easy to justify cheats to ourselves.  :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/23/15 12:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/23/15 2:10 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Love this!  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/23/15 7:35 pm

Thank you  babe,,. I am taking saving that image... Great even for my work... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

VSG on 06/12/13

This. 

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Kate -True Brit
on 1/23/15 7:11 pm - UK
On January 23, 2015 at 1:15 PM Pacific Time, lo_ri_p wrote:

I obviously knew that eating a sub was wrong and I paid for it.  Do you all mean to tell me that you have never cheated like that?  That was pretty harsh for confessing to one slip up.  I thought it's supposed to be a "support" forum not a beat down.

Please don't be offended, and please don't stop coming here for support. This IS a support forum.  Everyone who had surgery a long time ago and still posts does so simoly to help. We do tend to sound a bit harsh sometimes but it truly is because we want newcomers to succeed snd we have seen so very many people self-sabotage. There are certain warning signs we see time and time again. And we warn people when we see them because we ARE trying to support. 

with reference to your question about cheating - I think that the vast majority of successful long-term posters will tell you that they did NOT cheat until several things happened: they were beyond the post-op eating plan, their weight loss was going well and had been for many months, they had really learned how to live with their surgery.

i can honestly say that for the early months, not one single thing passed my lips that was not according to my plan.  Then I felt able to relax. 

And if you think a few weeks without loss counts as an extended stall, you are in for some nasty shocks! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/15 5:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Tracy had some really good advice. First, don't sweat the exercise. All I did was walk. I walked a lot, but that was it.

Second, 7 weeks out was way too soon to be falling off the wagon. I understand you were frustrated. None of us were happy eating so little. I mean, we were all in the same boat, right? But we ALL want you to be successful. And going to Subway at 7 weeks is a big red flag.

No doubt you will get a bunch of posters saying don't worry about it, no one is perfect. It's not true. Lots of people are exactly on plan until they reach maintenance, and then they formulate a new, long-term plan. I never touched bread, potatoes, sweets, et****il I was over a year out, and at goal weight. I've never had pasta or rice. I had pizza once.

We want what's best for you. We know how you feel. You just need to find a way to stick to your plan and reach the goals you've set for yourself.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 6:35 am - Ocala, FL

Thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/23/15 7:55 pm, edited 1/23/15 7:55 pm

Fyi: people who took time to tell that this is a huge red flag are those that have been successfully in maintenance for months or years. If you think now is hard, wait until you in year 2,3,....7th.. Then it is really hard.  Most of us been there without WLS...lost bunch of weight - gained it back- lost again -gained again.....etc. 

What is different with some of us now - that we do follow the plan...and we are much harsher on ourselves that anyone here was on you....

How you deal with life and stress now - may determine how well you can deal with life and stress and eating 1-2... 3..... years from now. 

1"sub today, in a few months you could eat 3"... 

My experiance - 6 years maintaining - first year is critical....was i perfect first year - almost - my biggest sin was eating 1cup of blueberries (slowly) over one hour a few (15?) weeks after WLS..i was in pain...the vets let me have it..... And i deserved it. I learned my lesson.  

I hope you recognize that people who told you this is a huge red flag - are all very sucesfull In the weight loss..and maintenance .

And that some that tell you "it's ok, noone is perfect..." either have not lost their weight yet or are not following their plan and are justifying their behaviour. 

Best luck..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active