Post-op Blues

Karen H.
on 1/23/15 5:32 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I am about 7 weeks out as well...... I got the "ok" from my surgeon last week to do any kind of exercise I wanted, no limits. Also, I have had some stalls too..... and I "do" know what stalls are! I went 3 weeks without losing an ounce so I can see that "is" possible. As I read your post, I was under the impression that you just ate the veggies out of the subway, is that right?  Everyone's plan is different and I would not put someone down if their plan is a little different than mine. Hang in there, follow "your" plan and you will see results. You can do this! HUGS your way!!! Karen H

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/23/15 5:41 am

Do you want us to tell you everything is A-Okay when we see setting yourself up for big problems then just let you flail until you have some deeply entrenched bad habits and regain? That is not a sarcastic question.

You have a still-healing stomach. You need to treat it gently and stay strictly on your plan. The habits you develop now will either help you or harm you later on. It behooves you to get into the groove of good habits now when it is easier because you can eat so little.

Life stressors will always be with us. One of the biggest challenges most of us have is finding ways to deal with those stressors without turning to food. It sounds as if you, out of habit, went to one of your old stomping grounds. You cannot do that. I stood in the hallway one day when I was a newly minted post op and cried because I was upset and didn't have my good buddy food to turn to. My husband came by and asked why I was crying and I sobbed, "Because I have to feel my feelings and it sucks."

You will start feeling better physically and mentally. I highly recommend a therapist. It's great to have someone to talk things over with. Find ways to deal with feelings and head hunger. You will get cleared for exercise, so this is temporary.

So, hike up the big girl unders and get on with it. You really CAN do this. Stick to your plan, drink your water, walk as you can, and know that soon you will feel better.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

hollykim
on 1/23/15 5:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM Pacific Time, lo_ri_p wrote:

I am about 7 weeks post-op.  I have had lots of stress this week.  Although I am happy to be losing again after my extended stall, I am frustrated with the recovery from surgery.  I can't exercise the way I want to.  I can't eat even the healthy foods I want to.  I have a granuloma in my navel that hurts.  I just moved and am limited as far as lifting and other related activities.  Just plain old tired of being post-op.  I am drinking the shakes and Gatorade and doing everything right.  I gave into temptation yesterday and stopped at Subway.  I got a sub that would not be considered too unhealthy but I got all the veggies on it that I have been missing.  That was the big mistake.  I ate slowly and small amount but still got sick.  I feel like crap today and don't even want eat at all.  Just having broth for lunch.  Has anyone else felt like this?

how long exactly WAS your extended stall?

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 6:43 am - Ocala, FL

I'm sorry that I used the word extended.  It was 2 weeks but when you are a month out and only eating about 2 ounces of food it seems like an eternity and baffling to me that I was not losing weight.

MAchick
on 1/24/15 1:20 am
VSG on 01/27/14

It seems baffling, but really completely normal. Read, read, read these forums. And when you think you've read enough, read some more. As long as you are following your plan to a T, you know the weight will come off. By introducing variables like Subway, you'll have no idea if/when the weight will come off.

Make yourself a set of smaller goals and stick to them. Put away your scale if it's driving you crazy. It will go up and down and all around but pay it no attention if it upsets you. I would start measuring yourself because that's where I still see big changes. Seeing inches drop off my neck and hips is amazing!

hollykim
on 1/24/15 2:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2015 at 2:43 PM Pacific Time, lo_ri_p wrote:

I'm sorry that I used the word extended.  It was 2 weeks but when you are a month out and only eating about 2 ounces of food it seems like an eternity and baffling to me that I was not losing weight.

that was the reason for my question. The stall you had,while not fun,was completely normal. We call it the "3 week stall" and some ppl hit it at 2 was as you did. Do an OH search for that term,there are reams and reams of posts about it. 

Be assured,it will likely not be the last stall you have. 

jgreenlee12
on 1/23/15 5:50 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Im about 7 weeks also. As of 6 weeks, I was allowed to eat most anything (within reason, of course) and I haven't had any problem eating anything that I have tried but I only eat protein. I can only eat about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces at a time and I am trying to get off of the protein shakes so every bite that goes in my mouth is protein. I know that a lot of people say that they are hungry at this stage but I personally am not ever hungry and usually have to force myself to eat anything so it hard to comprehend how people can even try to eat something that big and bready. (I LOVED bread post op and usually when we go out to eat somewhere they have bread I just smell it and somehow it satisfies that old love.) BUT I also know that we all have a disease or we would not have had to go to such drastic measure to try and lose weight. Being addicted to food is the same as being addicted to alcohol, or drugs or smoking. And with anyone trying to overcome any addiction it is a new day every day. And just because some people are better at handling those addictions doesn't mean they get to bash someone who is having a heard time with it. Today is a new day. I hope you can get a handle on using your surgery for what it was made for. Good luck and God bless!

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 6:48 am - Ocala, FL

That is how I usually feel but the stress got to me and I fell into past habits.  Good luck and God bless to you too.

wyo_sarah
on 1/23/15 7:54 am

I understand stress.   I'm 6 months post op and I got some harsh criticism on here recently when I was really looking for support.  It sucks.  I know how you feel.  At 4 weeks I ate 4 M&Ms.  I thought, just 4, that could hardly hurt, it is very little sugar and I so desperately wanted some candy.  And, like you with your bread, I paid for it.  My stomach hurt like crazy.  Sometimes we make stupid mistakes, but we just have to learn from them.  Good luck in the future.  I hope you feel better soon.

ipray
on 1/23/15 11:30 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Nice reply!

Most Active