Pre-op diet, I didn't get one?

Rafa
on 3/28/16 9:13 am
VSG on 03/16/16

Hey guys,

So it's likely crucial to say that I currently do not live in the continental US.

That said, my surgeon is licensed to practice in the US and follows some additional safety procedures advocated by many of the more renowned bariatric surgeons in the states. However, he didn't have me do any actual pre-op diet save for the fact that day before the surgery I was only allowed to drink water. He told me to, and I quote, " continue as normal, no diet but no "farewells" either." Truth of the matter is I had pizza, breadsticks and cinna-sticks washed down with soda two days before my surgery. I have and watched the video of my procedure, everything went extremely well and I was out of the clinic by 3PM the next day. 

So my question is, and this is purely academic, is the pre-op diet a psychological or biological requirement for the surgery?

Personally, I'm having absolutely no psychological trouble sticking to my post-op liquid diet. I've been sipping away like a madman and losing weight at an incredible pace.

I just find this huge difference in all your experiences in comparison to mine extremely curious.

!PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS AN EXCUSE OR SOME SORT OF SUPPORT TO DISOBEY YOUR SURGEONS INSTRUCTIONS AND BREAK YOUR PRE-OP DIETS, I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND YOU SHOULD FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS OF YOUR MEDICAL PERSONNEL!

There is nothing we cannot accomplish with determination and willpower.

Kathy2852
on 3/28/16 9:22 am - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

My surgery is tomorrow and no pre-op diet at all. Regular food today, just nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Just like any other surgery. I did a few farewells and was happy to see I only gained 2 pounds. Really envoys about tomorrow, though. 

pdxwoman
on 3/28/16 9:41 am
VSG on 03/21/16

Hi,

I did not have a pre-op diet except I was on clear liquid diet for day before surgery.

then nothing after 12 midnight.. before surgery

Yes, I did have a kinda farewell meal.

LebenAlles
on 3/28/16 11:25 am
VSG on 04/05/16

Well, from someone on Day 4 of a ten day liquid pre-op diet, I gotta say...count your blessings.  Was your surgery open or laparoscopic? I know that this type of diet can be specific to the method of surgery, as doing it laparoscopically requires more maneuvering and hence, a smaller liver makes that easier.

I also know from the research I've done and other people's accounts on here that different surgeons have different requirements.  My surgeon (group of surgeons, really) requires this for all patients, regardless of weight, health issues, etc.  Some change their requirements based on the individuals health, some just require a low carb/low sugar diet, and others it's just the liquids 3 to 24 hours before.  

What I keep reminding myself is that this is the surgeon I've chosen and while this pre-op diet is driving me batty, it's what they've requested of me so I'm going to do it to the best of my ability.  I guess one extra precaution can't hurt?

apointedpassion
on 3/28/16 1:44 pm - WA

My surgery is next Tuesday, April 5th, and my Dr also said no pre-op diet.  The other Dr in the same practice requires one but my Dr does not.  I was told it is all in how the Dr was trained and where they went to school.  He did tell me that if I wanted too I could do 2 shakes a day and one small meal a few days before but its not a requirement. Every office and every Dr is different. 

Darcy G.
on 3/29/16 12:04 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

This is how it is for me too. There are two surgeons connected to my bariatric center, one requires a liquid pre-op diet 14 days prior to surgery for those who have a BMI over 40--so the majority of his patients. The other surgeon doesn't do that.

My surgery is Apr 7, I saw the surgeon yesterday and he went over the obstacles my specific surgery will present(past open surgery, no spleen, blood thinners for several years, history with blood clots...) and after speaking with him, I'm so happy that I've been such a stickler with myself about the diet. If it's something that will make his already difficult job easier, I'm glad to have something I can do to help. You know?

Rafa: Don't worry about it! If you're worried about the mental aspect of acclimating to this new way of eating, that's another beast entirely(and one you're definitely going to have to work on--we all do, and it's no doubt the hardest part of this all), but physiologically, I can't see absence of pre-op liquid diet having any effect at all when you're already days and days out.

Hope you're continuing to feel better and better :)

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

jenorama
on 3/28/16 10:52 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I only had to do 2 days of liquids before surgery. Every time I read about someone enduring 2 or more weeks of liquids I thank my lucky stars. 

Jen

leslielu86
on 3/29/16 3:14 am
VSG on 04/04/16

I am having surgery April 4th and have a 2 week pre-op diet, when I confessed that I had cheated my surgeon's office told me it was okay because they know we're going to cheat that's why they say 2 weeks instead of just 1.  I am required to do all liquids for this last week in order to shrink my liver and make my recovery faster.  It's tough but in the big picture it's only one week and kind of a jump start to my new life.

Shalo
on 3/29/16 5:34 am

I was told from the beginning that because of my "fatty" liver I would need to do a 4 week pre op diet.

Laura R.
on 3/29/16 8:03 am

No pre op diet for me either and my surgery was laparoscopic. My surgeon told me that the pre op diet was required years ago for all patients but since then they have realized it does make that big of a difference, and that its each surgeons decision according to what they are comfortable with. Interesting all of the different ideas. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views