Cause and effect question....

ubserved
on 1/23/17 10:45 am

I haven't had a problem having a movement.

CC C.
on 1/23/17 10:17 am

Did the ER check you for kidney stones?

ubserved
on 1/23/17 10:46 am

That was the first thing they thought. I was clear of kidney and gall stones.

rocky513
on 1/23/17 3:39 pm, edited 1/23/17 7:56 am - WI

When you were out of your home, did you keep up your vitamins?  Did you quit taking them and then restart?  Vitamin D3 or B12 deficiency can cause back pain.  Too much calcium or vitamin D3 can cause back pain also.  It's a fine balancing act.  If you take a lot of calcium, you should also be taking magnesium.  If you  take large doses of D3, you should be taking K2 in the form of MK-7.  D3 And K2 insure that the calcium you take gets into your bones and not deposited in your soft tissue where it can cause real issues in your arteries or muscle pain.  Start with a full set of labs to see if your pain is vitamin related.  

I tend to agree with Gwen.  If there have been tests, and you are medically healthy, then it has to be an outside source causing your pain.  If not the mattress then maybe a recliner or chair that is throwing your posture off, causing pain.  I had to ditch a favorite recliner that was causing a real problem with my back.

I also want to address your weight gain.  You place the blame on eating in restaurants.  I don't want newbies to get the idea that you can't eat out.  There are LOTS of good choices in restaurants.  You can look at menus online and if there is nothing healthy, chose another place.  Eating out does not give you an excuse to over-eat or choose the wrong foods.  You must still weigh and measure your food.  You are still in control of what and how much you eat.  If you choose to eat the wrong foods, you will gain weight.  It does not matter if you are cooking at home or eating in a restaurant.  

The OP has a history of making not so great choices where food is concerned.  Many of us tried to warn him, but he got very offended, called the vets a bunch of not so nice names, and decided to blaze his own trail.  He is now 14 months out and has gained 27 pounds.  Check his posting history.

Moral of the story.... listen to the people who have figured this WLS life out and maintained their loss for many years.  They know what they are talking about.  Blazing our own trail is how we all became obese in the first place. 

edited to add:  If you take a blood thinner like Warferin or Coumadin you need to consult your doctor before adding K2.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Grim_Traveller
on 1/23/17 3:53 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

This is a very kind, lengthy, and comprehensive answer, that will unfortunately be dismissed out of hand, as the other responses were.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 1/23/17 4:00 pm - WI

I know... I still want to be helpful...but I'm also a realist and expect to be shot down.  Some things never change.

NYMom222
on 1/23/17 4:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Hi Rocky! You say - If you  take large doses of D3, you should be taking K2 in the form of MK-7. 

Can I ask why? I guess I missed this one... I do take high doses of D3, as I was deficient even before WLS.... and while I am sure there is some in my multi...I never heard this...just wondering of I should be adding.

Thanks!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Gwen M.
on 1/24/17 4:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The super short version is that vitamin K will ensure that calcium is being deposited where it needs to go - so your bone matrix instead of your arteries, for example. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rocky513
on 1/24/17 5:19 am - WI

D3 and K2 work together to deliver calcium to your body.  K2 is a protein whose biological role is to help move calcium into the proper areas in your body, such as your bones and teeth. It also plays a role in removing calcium from areas where it shouldn't be, such as in your arteries and soft tissues.  If you have too much D3 and not enough K2 you can have problems such as heart disease ( blockage), stroke, osteoporosis, kidney stones, bone spurs, and muscle inflammation.  Since K2 effects blood clotting, you should never take it without consulting a doctor if you are on blood thinners.

There are many kinds of  K vitamin.  K2 in the form of MK-7 stays in the body longer and is the easiest to absorb.  Always take your vitamin K supplement with fat since it is fat-soluble and won't be absorbed without it.   I take 150mcg daily.  I started taking it because I was covered with bruises with no apparent cause.  With in a month of taking it the bruising stopped.  I have osteopenia and my last DEXA scan showed no additional bone loss for the first time ever!

NYMom222
on 1/24/17 7:43 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks for responding...even though it is in the midst of this crazy thread, I figure someone else may learn by this sidebar....  I've actually had several dexascans because it shows my bone along side the bodyfat testing.... So while I am still in the very high/strong bones rating I have seen a trend in the 3 bodyfat dexas of it going down.... although someone had said to me their Doctor had told them there is a certain natural going down because your body no longer needs to support so much weight. True or not in my case IDK.

That being said... Is fat from whole milk enough fat to take something like that? I drink a latte every morning with Fairlife milk(higher protein/lower carb)  to get my day going... I actually did know K needs fat because it is one of the fat soluble vitamins in salad and that is why with FF salad dressing you aren't getting all the nutrients....

Just to give you an idea of the crazy amount of D3 I take... this being said I was deficient for 15 years pre-WLS and could never bring it up no matter what I tried... then when researching vitamins after WLS I discovered liquid D3.... So I take 20,000mg a day and with what is in my calcium/vit D patch I am finally a normal D. Right in the high-mid range... So not overdosing even at that much....

Thanks again!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 84 views