Too much food?

Sheepie
on 6/13/17 7:03 pm
VSG on 05/31/17

Today I graduated to puréed foods. For supper, I blended up 2oz of tuna with 1tbsp low fat mayo, and a couple teaspoons of water. I nibbled at it over about 40 minutes, but I never had that "wow I am full" feeling.

I worry that I ate too much at one sitting, or I ate it wrong. Shouldn't I be uncomfortably full after eating 2oz protein? My sleeve is a size 40, if it helps.

HW: 340 SW: 310 CW: 196.6 GW: 170

White Dove
on 6/13/17 7:30 pm - Warren, OH

It takes time for your nerves to get back feeling after surgery. That is why we measure, we can't tell if we are too full.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cathy H.
on 6/13/17 7:36 pm, edited 6/13/17 12:37 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

That sounds about right for pureed food. They're essentially thick liquids, so it's about like having a thick protein shake. You won't start feeling any restriction until you are eating solid proteins.

Additionally, you are not going to have the "wow I am full" feeling for a long time yet. You're stomach nerves have all been cut, and it will take time for you to actually feel a sense of "fullness"...and some say they never really do feel it. This is why measuring and weighing is so critical, especially during the healing phases. Your stomach is not going to give you any of the signals you are used to, so you have to be diligent about not eating too much and damaging your new tummy.

I was only able to eat 4 oz of combined solid protein and softer foods by the time I was through with my 9 weeks of "healing phases." I am now 7.5 months out, and if I don't want to have part of my meal sitting in my esophagus and my stomach hurting, I have to keep it at no more than 3-4 oz of solid protein and no more than 5 oz total. I still measure and weigh every bite, and if I do eat 6 oz thinking it won't be a big deal "this time", I end up miserable for hours waiting for my stomach to empty enough to not feel sick anymore!

Don't count on your old signals. But believe me, when you get to solid proteins, you will KNOW when you've eaten too much!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Sheepie
on 6/13/17 7:49 pm
VSG on 05/31/17

I had not thought of puréed food like that... a thick protein shake. That makes sense. I guess I have read a lot of people on the boards that say they eat 2 or 3 bites and are stuffed. I was worried that I didn't have that feeling at all.

I sometimes forget that I am only 2 weeks post-op. Most of me feels quite good, but I forget my tummy has not healed yet.

HW: 340 SW: 310 CW: 196.6 GW: 170

Luvmygs
on 6/14/17 10:25 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You actually won't get that full feeling until you start eating solid foods. I remember still feeling hungry during the liquid and puree stage. I actually didn't do well with puree. I went back to liquids with a twist. I bought my favorite Progresso soup and just pureed that and I was in heaven! At least this was tasty. Puree meatballs and gravy just made me gag. I did enjoy refried beans with cheese, cottage cheese, cream of wheat, sweet potatoes, sugar free pudding and my protein shakes.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/15/17 12:00 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

As White Dove pointed out, the nerves in your stomach have been severed from surgery. You won't feel any or much restriction while you heal.

I think it was at the five week point after surgery that I really noticed what restriction felt like. It's better not to push that boundary. Always weigh/measure your food so you don't risk overeating.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Fredbear
on 6/15/17 10:03 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

40 minutes is way too long for a meal, that's basically grazing.

My plan indicates meals should be about 20 minutes, and then stop eating.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Most Active