Wanting to learn...

Prpl D.
on 1/29/05 5:24 am - Clay Center, KS
Hi, I have been interested in ASL for years. When I was younger I was going deaf. They found the problem and now I hear okay. I think it was during that time that I really started wanting to learn ASL. I do know some as I was in a sign choir at church. The problem is, I moved so I am no longer in the choir and have not been able to find any way to learn in KS other than teaching myself. Any ideas? BTW I do still try and sign praise and worship and the church I currently attend. Sheila
TK in Texas W.
on 6/4/05 5:58 pm - DFW, TX
Hi one way to learn is college course ASL1,2,3,4. You can get them cheap if you don't want the college credit. If you want to practice what you have learned most deaf communities have deaf clubs or group meetings that are open to the public so people like you can practice, probably should look up or call the college interpreting instructor and ask them to direct you locally or a deaf advocacy group. Good luck I learned sign as a child and have used it every since, in my church and teaching it at recreation centers.
thrdeye17
on 6/17/05 7:22 am - Charlotte, MI
Also, there's a good finger spelling website www.where.com. I use it for my sign language classes for the extra credit hours. It's a hand that finger spells and you type in what you see. It's good for improving your receptive skills. I've taken Sign 1,2,3 and i'm currently in Fingerspelling at Lansing Community College. I hope to become an interpreter. I really enjoy learning how to sign! Rhonda
Most Active
Recent Topics
teaching myself
babygirlz22 · 5 replies · 717 views
Just Found You
Ravenwulf · 0 replies · 340 views
hellooo
shoutjoy · 0 replies · 337 views
Wanting to learn...
Prpl D. · 2 replies · 386 views