Do you want to Enlist in MILITARY but b/c of WLS you can't?

Angie S
on 8/11/07 2:14 pm - Cody, WY
Hi all.  I asked a question yesterday about joing the Army and got an array of responses.  All of which were GREAT!  I DID talk to a recruiter for the Army National Guard Friday Morning and was finally given the news this afternoon about noon.  At first I was upset, then I was MAD and now I am LIVID!!!!  I know at least 3 of the posters on my previous thread expressed an interest in enlisting in whatever branch.  Me the Army because of age.  And I researched the Army Medical Standards which were last updated FEB of 2005 and it was thrown in as an afterthought!   I know there are many who believe that I am on some kind of "special" diet and that this would in some way hinder me.  BUT I AM NOT!  I am 3 yrs post op, at my goal weight and aside from issues with gall bladder in the 1st 30 days out I have had no major issues.  One poster on previous thread stated that if you are in and have it its ok, because you are already trained and have all of that under your belt and the military does not want to spend money to train us "IN CASE".  Well I am not BUYING that BS.  EVERY individual that joins is a risk.  EVERY ONE!!!  Whether a flight risk, a injury or some one looses it, there are always risks.  Every employer including the military goes through this.  Spending time and money to train individuals who may or may not make the cut.  I am pissed that some entity that has not a clue of what I can do is not at least willing to talk to me and hear what I have to say.  Especially when the recruit #'s are so low.  When every person willing and able should be given the oppurtunity to serve thier Country! I am willing to walk away from my job, my husband, my comfortable life and DEFEND this GREAT NATION and I am really ticked that I, because I made a decision to take control of my weight and my life 3 yrs ago, albiet considered drastic, now I can't do WHAT I wanted to do 21 yrs ago but was too Overweight to do!  Would they have let me join at 330lbs, well HELL NO!  But now I have a smaller damn stomach and I can't.  My basic comment is this! IF YOU COULD GET A WAIVER WOULD YOU JOIN!   RIGHT NOW!!??   I ask because, BY GOD I am not taking this laying DOWN!  I want to fight beside my Country MEN and WOMEN for my COUNTRY and I am willing to put a little Bee in the Big Militaries Bonnet to do SO!  Would you do it too?   On my previous thread a responder stated the increase in militaries medical waivers would cover say an old Knee Surgery!  HMMMM!  Interestingly enough, my "little" Stomach would not suddenly give out on me if running in BCT or AIT or in the Sand, or mountains or out the door for Gods sake.  I am pissed that they can take THAT RISK but not one on ME!   I have this special diet,that is very damn laughable, let's see............................. I ate scrambled eggs and toast this morning with coffee, then for lunch I had Chinese, a little of several items!  and for dinner taco salad.  Damn I am alot more different then all the non WLS's out there huh!  Oh yeah, I had some Ritz crackers, 5 to be exact for a mid afternoon snack.  DAMN ME for being so different!  Oops I forgot I had Unsweet tea all day too!  If you are interested in stirring up enough of a voice to maybe get the Disqualifier changed, or given a case by case review, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me.  I have several friends already on it!  I am gonna get a MEPS Dr to review my case and I am gonna get someone to sit up and take notice that just BECAUSE I don't eat as much as they do, that I can STILL FIGHT FOR MY COUNTRY!!!! I am not a QUITER, never have BEEN and I am not about to START NOW!  If you are serious and want to make the BEE bigger and stronger PLEASE contact me.  First I am teased and discriminated on because I was Obese and NOW because I did something about IT I am being discrimated against.  Military does not want to spend money to train me in case, well last damn time I checked EVERY working individual was footing the bill and I want my small portion put to work for ME! I appreciate all responses but please contact me personally if you feel the same.  One person can't change much but 2+ can damn sure get them to take notice! Thanks for listening, reading and supporting!   Angie
Misty1980
on 8/11/07 2:26 pm - edwards, CA
I wante dto join the airforce so bad they said they would take me even with the gbs. but i got turned down cause I was on a little 10 mg prozac. The funny thing is my husband is airforce and have of the enlisted are on higher doses then me
Angie S
on 8/11/07 2:29 pm - Cody, WY
Misty,  How far out are you?  Is the prozac something you can wiene yourself off of with dr's asst.?  Oh I am really ticked thats its ok for the ALREADY enlisted to have medical issues, and stay in, but NEW, NEEDED recruits can't get in! Go Figure! Angie
Charlie
on 8/11/07 2:36 pm - Daytona Beach, FL

I knew about this but researched to be sure.  I have several young relatives who have gone through basic.  One was given less than one minute to eat, another said he got usually about 7 minutes.....this is something I found.... What kinds of things will I encounter while there? Have you ever had to eat an entire meal in 6 minutes? You will at Basic, but it is not as hard as you would think. Some places have different rules, but some are just like I am writing about. We would always start with desert. Sometimes the Drill Sergeants will give you more time, but as soon as they see the meat and vegetables are gone, they will kick you out. So, we ate desert first. Sometimes that backfired and we were kicked out anyway.  Meat?  In 6 minutes?   This could be almost impossible for you.....no way could I eat every meal in 6 minutes.  I would either starve to death or get kicked out for constant puking.   I'm not NOT supporting your desire, but think perhaps there might be other ways to serve. 

Just sayin.............

Angie S
on 8/11/07 4:22 pm - Cody, WY
Charlie, No offense but I have always been a fast eater and still am. I would focus on the proteins as I always do.  I had issues at first but I do not PUKE or otherwise when I eat.  Have not had that happen in well over a year.  I am very aware of time to eat.  I have researched this for a long while.  So you cannot eat fast.  That is fine.  If I thought for one minute that I would have an issue I would not be pushing for this oppurtunity  You say you have several YOUNG relatives have gone through basic.  Well I am 38 and have a bit more sense than to eat desert before protein and veggies in the first place, regardless of having had WLS.   But I know as I am sure all post ops do, there is not a single one of us that have had the every one of the same exact issues as another.  I am not in no way saying ALL WLS post ops should join the Military.  But there are some out there who because they chose a more drastic route to get control of thier lifes like myself and WANT to serve are being overlooked.  I am looking to join with them if they are as Serious as myself and show the DOD and for that matter everyone, that it can be done.  That we are still normal and that just because I eat less than my counterpart I would make one Helluva Soldier. I appreciate your input. Angie
Charlie
on 8/12/07 2:44 am - Daytona Beach, FL
Good luck then

NavyWifeRenee
on 8/12/07 3:37 am - Williamsburg, VA

Like Charlie's post read the reason they ate desert first wasn't cause they didn't have sense.  If anything it was a smart move.  Not only because the sugars are great for fast energy but again like the post said often they would have to stop eating when the meat was gone.  So they started with desert to up the odds of being able to eat everything.  

Elizabeth N.
on 8/12/07 6:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
Last I checked, the cutoff age for the Army was 35. Or was that just for OCS?
N'Awlins Kat
on 8/12/07 7:21 am - TX
I was approached last month by an Army recruiter, used that argument... "Sorry, I'm too old" at 36... he said that during times of conflict they can take recruits up to 42. So I told him I'd had RNY and he said "not a problem" because I wouldn't be in direct combat, I'd be working as a nurse. He had a way to overcome my every objection. But I'm just not willing to walk away from my 3 yr old to go to another country. Kat

N'Awlins Kat
Bariatric Professional and -  OH Leader since '05
Back on Track 8/2009 - ticking down, 12 lbs gone again!    

Elizabeth N.
on 8/12/07 7:26 am - Burlington County, NJ
Methinks this recruiter was doing an opening sales pitch....Get you in the door for a "formal interview" and find out whether you're really eligible later. Unfortunately, there's a lot of quota pressure (though of course it's not officially called that) on recruiters even in the best of times.  ROFLMAO @ "not in direct combat due to working as a nurse." Now THAT is a very obvious piece of nonsense. You wouldn't be in a combat occupational specialty. That means absolutely NOTHING in terms of being in dangerous, hazardous and physically untenable places.  Then again, that could be describing any of a LOT of nursing jobs eh? ;-).
Most Active