what are dangers of not getting enough protein?

Leann K.
on 8/28/07 11:55 am - Lytle, TX
I cannot stomach the protein shakes,  I have tried them all!!  I am doing what i can to eat my protein but I am only getting about 1/3 of what I am supposed to.  I just can't afford to waste more money on nasty protein drinks. What are the dangers of not getting enough protein? Are there alternatives to protein shakes? Why can't they just make a pill?  I would even prefer an injection!!! Thanks

Leann 

Lisa A.
on 8/28/07 11:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
I couldnt agree more. Hate the shakes and even real protein makes me nauteous.. except cheese.  I do tend to get dizzy and week and nauseous tho when I dont eat enuff protein.  I would much prefer to eat fruits and veg and yogurt and ice cream and drink water :-) protein eww ick..... lets invent the pill!!
Angie Conley
on 8/28/07 12:01 pm, edited 8/28/07 12:02 pm - Middletown , OH
I don't know all the dangers but I do know that you will lose muscle instead of fat and lose your hair. You can also become anemic (sp?). Have you tried Unjury? I used 1 scoop of unflavored Unjury in my morning coffee. I don't taste it over the coffee, creamer and Splenda. I used to use it in shakes with 1 Tbs peanut butter, a banana, and SF Chocolate syrup. Try using it with SF hot cocoa. If you can't handle it try some protein bars. If you go to GNC, save your reciept. They will refund your money on anything in the store. Even if you've opened it. I love Pure Protein bars. Strawberry Shortcake and Peanut Butter are my favorites. The Chocolate Deluxe is good too. Hope this helps.
TiffanyRN
on 8/28/07 12:07 pm - Katy, TX

Have you tried the Syntrax Nectar brand?? Very yummy, I can't taste that aftertaste so many brands have. Muscle Milk makes an oatmeal that is very high in protein. You could probably just mix unflavored protein powder into your own oatmeal for much cheaper, though...

Tiffany 

Sean_B
on 8/28/07 12:08 pm - Schenectady, NY
dangers? long term = DEATH from complications of protein deficiency short term = - hair loss (though many have a "thinning out" anyway, lack of sufficient protein will make it worse) - wasting of muscle tissue... as you enter your rapid loss (if you haven't begun your rapid loss already) combined with super-low caloric intake, your body tends to not discriminate... yes, much of your body's fuel is taken from your fat stores... but some will be taken in the form of protein... and if your body isn't ingesting enough protein (through food and supplements), then it will take it from the largest protein source in your body... muscle tissue (and don't forget, your HEART is a muscle) alternatives to protein shakes? "bullets"... small amounts (like 3 oz) in a test-tube looking container that contains either 25 or 42 grams of protein (depending on which brand you get)... they can be a bit strong flavor and thick consistency, so many recommend watering it down, so you can get your necessary protein as well as your fluid intake. unflavored protein powder... a little sprinkle in everything you eat (yogurt, cottage cheese, soup, coffee... anything that's a bit liquidy) can make a big impact The only other alternative would be actual food sources (beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc)... but unfortunately, as early out as you are, getting all your required protein from food alone is pretty much an impossibility. take a pill? if they DID make a pill, you'd have to take so many of them, that most people would be easily dissuaded (sp?) from taking them... but you really DO need to supplement. I'm sure others will probably chime in with suggestions as well. Good luck.

Pre: 324 Now: 185-190 http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/171/99/1251208761/n1251208761_30154298_7588.jpg

Jazelle Hall
on 8/28/07 12:20 pm - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 08/07/06 with
Your heart is a muscle and lost of protein will in the end damage it. Since I don't like milk either but eat a lot of cheese I still get my calcium. I drink the New-Whey and mix the protein powder with my yorgart. So far I'm doing fine. I also eat fish about 3 to 6 times a week.
 Lost 170 now between 150-160. Century Cards  go to http://swords.cc/ohcc/oh_card.html Just copy one of the cards styles there and use a paint program to put your name on it and save as a gif or jpeg. Sorry I can't do up seperate cards any more.

EveningStar
on 8/28/07 12:36 pm - AL

There is a short article on protein and bariatric patients on US Bariatrics. Just scroll down for the article. If you do not get in adequate protein, your body will take it from other organs if need be, you loose muscle mass, your heart is a muscle. It is important to get in your protein anyway you can, to avoid potential life threatning complications. Alternatives to shakes: Pure Protein 20 grams protein per bar. I prefer the chocolate peanut butter. Oh Yeah! protein wafer bars. 15 grams protein per serving, kinda like a kit kat I prefer chocolate mint, and vanilla peanut butter cream. Met Rx protein bars. I use as a meal replacement. 30 grams protein, 15 grams of sugar but sugar doesnt bother me. If it bothers you, Id stay away from them but the peanut butter cookie dough, chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut caramel crunch are good. Turkey Jerky cheese sticks deli sliced meats rolled up with cheese sticks Wendys Chili: a small one has 18 grams of protein Shrimp: I keep a bag of pre cooked shrimp on hand, toss em in a little crab boil for flavor for just a minute or less, usually just a qucik dunking, then add either light italian dressing or will make up a dressing with some fresh dill and olive oil or other spices, cover them, keep in fridge. They are handy when you have those, "I know I want something but dont know what" days.

RNY- 4/4/05 - no complications - no regrets- never have dumped.
5'9"  highest weight ever: 345 +
weight day of surgery: 304
current weight: 152 size 12 from 26/28 pre op

katrina C.
on 8/28/07 12:51 pm - MI
I am a "mix-a-terian" lol,,..so I do find myself eating some vegetarian foods from the grocery store. The Morning Star products are high in protein,...Grillers (veggie burgers) are 15 grams in one. also they have breakfast links and other stuff.... just another suggestion. kat

surgery (9/7/07) (surgery weight 247)
highest weight 259.7 March 3, 2008
Lowest weight April 154 (serious depression..lost about 12 pounds)
have gained :( since...

Linda_S
on 8/28/07 12:54 pm - Eugene, OR
Two biggies are that you'll lose muscle mass and your hair can fall out.  Not good -- either one of them.  I'm sure there are other bad things that can happen when you don't get enough.  I have trouble with the protein powders (loved them before surgery), but I get quite a bit from yogurt, cheese, skim milk, almonds, fish, etc. Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

cabin111
on 8/28/07 1:05 pm
My little trick was to put some cottage cheese by my bed the first few months.  If I had to pee during the middle of the night (which is common since I am sip sip sipping away), I had a small bowl of 2 to 3 oz on the night stand with a spoon.  I would eat the cottage cheese then, just to make sure the protein was there, even if it was 2 to 3am.  Brian
Most Active