US vs THEM - Why I chose my surgery...

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/07 7:13 am
It never ceases to amaze me that one persons reason for getting a particular surgery, is another persons reason to NOT get that surgery. RNY - I got the surgery so I'd dump and the fear of that would keep me away from sugar. DS - I got the surgery so that I wouldn't dump. RNY - I needed the restriction to correct my relationship with food. DS - I didn't want the restriction because I want to enjoy my relationship with food. RNY - I wanted/needed to change my eating habits. DS - I've dieted my whole life -- I want to quit dieting. RNY - I'm sick of dieting and failing. DS - I'm sick of dieting and failing. RNY - I want a tool that I can work. DS - I want a surgery that does the work. RNY - I didn't want to be able to cheat the surgery. DS - I want to be able to 'cheat' from time to time. RNY - I want to be healthy. DS - I want to be healthy. RNY - I didn't want someone cutting off my stomach. DS - I don't want a blind stomach. RNY - I don't want to have to eat massive amounts of food. DS - I want to be able to eat what I want. RNY - I needed to change my habits. DS - I've been trying to change my habits my whole life! RNY - I never want to eat sugar or fat again! DS - I don't want sugar and fat to be 'off-limits'. The best choice is an informed choice!
Jandell
on 11/30/07 7:15 am - Glendora, CA
No matter which surgery we have had or plan to have we're all trying to overcome ONE thing - OBESITY!  That alone should bring us together.
Jan
I know I can, I know I can
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 1:14 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Greetings,

My name is Pumpkin X.

Recently an old thread to which you replied to on obesityhelp.com came back to life. It is a very interesting thread and some of us were wondering how the original posters of that thread were doing today, and if you/they still held the same views regarding your/their chosen surgery.

Could you please take a few moments of your time and pop in to say hello to us, we would love to hear  an update on your WLS journey.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/3463340/US-vs-THEM-Why-I-chose-my-surgery/

Thank you

FinallyLosingIt_07
on 11/30/07 8:14 am - Kettleman City, CA
I had the opportunity to have the DS back i*****  I didn't do it because the surgeon, to me, seemed like a big jerk running people through his practice like a cattle call.  I think everything happens for a reason, and in retrospect I think I didn't have the DS because it wasn't the right decision for me to have ANY weight loss surgery at the time.  I just wasn't right emotionally to go through with it back then.  During nursing school, one of my clinical sites was the hospital where this particular surgeon did his procedures.  We had patients of his that were sick and dying on a regular basis throughout my rotation there.  I was so greatful at the time that I hadn't gone through with the surgery.  I think seeing all those unfortunate outcomes really turned me against the DS.  That's why I had the RNY when I finally decided I was emotionally ready to have surgery.  I know there are complications with the RNY as well, and people have died after having RNY and DS.  I'm happy with the surgery I chose, but I'd never tell anyone else mine is "better" than theirs.  It's too bad there are people who judge or condescend to other people about their surgery choice.   It's a very personal thing.

Highest weight 360  Day of surgery 289 Current weight 200

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 1:14 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On November 30, 2007 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, FinallyLosingIt_07 wrote:
I had the opportunity to have the DS back i*****  I didn't do it because the surgeon, to me, seemed like a big jerk running people through his practice like a cattle call.  I think everything happens for a reason, and in retrospect I think I didn't have the DS because it wasn't the right decision for me to have ANY weight loss surgery at the time.  I just wasn't right emotionally to go through with it back then.  During nursing school, one of my clinical sites was the hospital where this particular surgeon did his procedures.  We had patients of his that were sick and dying on a regular basis throughout my rotation there.  I was so greatful at the time that I hadn't gone through with the surgery.  I think seeing all those unfortunate outcomes really turned me against the DS.  That's why I had the RNY when I finally decided I was emotionally ready to have surgery.  I know there are complications with the RNY as well, and people have died after having RNY and DS.  I'm happy with the surgery I chose, but I'd never tell anyone else mine is "better" than theirs.  It's too bad there are people who judge or condescend to other people about their surgery choice.   It's a very personal thing.
Greetings,

My name is Pumpkin X.

Recently an old thread to which you replied to on obesityhelp.com came back to life. It is a very interesting thread and some of us were wondering how the original posters of that thread were doing today, and if you/they still held the same views regarding your/their chosen surgery.

Could you please take a few moments of your time and pop in to say hello to us, we would love to hear  an update on your WLS journey.

Thank you

Judi J.
on 11/30/07 8:28 am - MN
Lola: I like the way you laid it out here. thanks!  judi
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 1:15 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On November 30, 2007 at 4:28 PM Pacific Time, Judi J. wrote:
Lola: I like the way you laid it out here. thanks!  judi
Hi There Judi,

Greetings,

My name is Pumpkin X.

Thank you

Judi J.
on 10/10/11 1:42 am - MN
do you work for OH now? This is weird. I think you know me so I'll pass on answering your form letter.  Judi
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 2:01 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On October 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM Pacific Time, Judi J. wrote:
do you work for OH now? This is weird. I think you know me so I'll pass on answering your form letter.  Judi
No, I don't work for OH now and I'm cool with that. Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable Judi.
Con Con
on 11/30/07 8:38 am - Coastal, MS
 A lot of those things just aren't true though, at least for me. I don't dump, I eat plenty of fats... I have a good relationship with food, can eat what I want when I want. I have never felt like I was on a diet. My surgery works for me. Like you (DS), if I don'****ch what I eat, I can gain weight back - esp with carbs. I don't like the surgery wars - think they are dumb. People have surgery to get healthy. There is no one size fits all surgery. There is also no one surgery (RNY vs RNY, DS vs DS) alike. I can eat things others can't. I can eat more than some, less than others. My main concern/wish is that people watch the false information they put forth. That makes people jump to quick UNinformed decisions. It is hard for me, as an RNYer, to tell someone about the DS - cause I don't live with it. Vice-versa. Some people do fabulous with the lap band - I wish I could have been one of them - cause it is the least restrictive, but it takes more will-power and work - and I know I didn't have it in me. Your last statement is the truest of them all...  Have a great Christmas season =) I have all my shopping done - I think......
Most Active