Drinking chicken broth...

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/09 10:53 am - Columbus, GA
I really like to drink chicken broth... my favorite was in those paper cups with the poker hands printed on them I got from vending machines... and again in the hospital they had good broth to drink...

.... and haven't been able to get close to that flavor at all at home...

What's the trick???

All the broth i see is for cooking... bullion cubes and powder and in those wax cartons....

How do you get good drinking chicken broth?
taw18220
on 1/5/09 11:06 am - Tomball, TX
I buy the Ramen noodle soups, take the broth pack out, throw the noodles away and just add the pack to 2 cups of ho****er.  It has a lot of sodium though, but they are so tasty.  Creamy Chicken is my favorite.
macismom
on 1/5/09 11:19 am - Presque Isle, ME

Rachel Ray's chicken broth is VERY tasty.  That's what got  me through the clear liquid stage.  I get it at WalMart.

Keela...highest 246/ surgery day 233/ current 155 goal 130  
Amy R.
on 1/5/09 11:24 am
I used the broth from Mrs. Grass soup, just put the broth packet and the little oval broth "egg" thing in boiling water (threw away the noodles) and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.

Also, Wolfang Puck has some broth's out that are really good so you might try those.

best,
amy
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/09 11:31 am - Mt Pleasant, IA
I got this from my surgeon...
http://www.hmrprogram.com/index.cfm/HMRFoods/HMRChickenSoup

I mix it with the broth from Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup (with water added) minus the noodles and chicken.

It is wonderful AND I get the protein!
foobear
on 1/5/09 2:02 pm - Medford, MA
You can drink the broth found in cans and cartons, especially if you're not salt-sensitive.  Basically, it's chicken noodle soup minus the noodles.  What you get out of vending machines isn't much different from bouillon cubes.

I have a bunch of homemade turkey stock that I made right after Thanksgiving using a turkey carcass.  When I want to have a really rich soup, I mixha Progresso-type can of soup with an equal amount of frozen turkey stock and nuke that in the microwave.

Unjury makes a hot Chicken Soup flavor "protein drink".  It ain't wonderful, but the strong salt/MSG flavor and a hint of chicken flavor makes it an acceptable standin for those of us sick of chocolate and vanilla milk shakes.  (I wonder how it would be cut with homemade chicken stock?)

/Steve
ChristineB
on 1/5/09 8:16 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On January 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM Pacific Time, foobear wrote:
You can drink the broth found in cans and cartons, especially if you're not salt-sensitive.  Basically, it's chicken noodle soup minus the noodles.  What you get out of vending machines isn't much different from bouillon cubes.

I have a bunch of homemade turkey stock that I made right after Thanksgiving using a turkey carcass.  When I want to have a really rich soup, I mixha Progresso-type can of soup with an equal amount of frozen turkey stock and nuke that in the microwave.

Unjury makes a hot Chicken Soup flavor "protein drink".  It ain't wonderful, but the strong salt/MSG flavor and a hint of chicken flavor makes it an acceptable standin for those of us sick of chocolate and vanilla milk shakes.  (I wonder how it would be cut with homemade chicken stock?)

/Steve
They do make low sodium versions of the canned broths.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active