Has Al Roker Had A Major Re-Gain?

Batwingsman
on 6/15/09 1:40 pm - Garland, TX
I turned on The Today Show this a.m. for the first time in probably over a year or so, and saw this portly fellow interviewing a guest ..   As the camera switched to his face,  I then realized it was Al Roker ..   It sure didn't look like the Al I remember right after his WLS ..  

Does anyone know anything about his re-gain?   Has he mentioned it in any interviews, and how much weight he has put back on or why?   

Hopefully he can get back on track soon ...  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

JOJO3147
on 6/15/09 2:15 pm - NY
I have seen him and yes he has put on, what looks like all his weight back!  Do you know what kind of WLS he had?
"Live like its your last day on earth, laugh till your tummy hurts and Dance like no one is watching!!!"

Batwingsman
on 6/15/09 6:04 pm - Garland, TX
  He had RNY ...

Appparently, the re-gain has made him grumpy, as well.   I didn'****ch the whole interview, but sounds like it went really bad (on his part):  

http://www.popeater.com/television/article/al-roker-roasts-h eidi-and-spencer/527346?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link3|http %3A%2F%2Fwww.popeater.com%2Ftelevision%2Farticle%2Fal-roker- roasts-heidi-and-spencer%2F527346

(and for the member that asked, as my signature line shows, I had a regain of about 25 lbs. after 210 lbs. total loss  --  my bad   

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

L. Rios
on 6/15/09 11:01 pm - Springfield, MO
I watched the entire interview and I thought he did a good job considering he was interviewing two complete idiots. They couldn't pay you enough to be nice to jacka**s like Heidi and Spencer.
jemof2
on 6/15/09 11:23 pm - Shreveport, LA
Amen sister!!!  I can't stand those two!
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/09 2:27 pm
Al has gained some weight back, but certainly not all of it.  Randy Jackson never lost much, but he still looks better than he did.  There are a lot of people who either don't lose all their weight, or lose and gain some back.  It's really not that uncommon.  There isn't a surgery out there that can't be sabotaged.   Out of curiosity, OP, have you lost all your weight, or regained any?
Cindy P.
on 6/15/09 6:00 pm
While Roker didn't stay as slim as he once was, he is DEFINITELY still slimmer than he was before his surgery.  I had forgotten how large he was, but you can look up pictures of him or see old footage from The Today Show and it's very clear he's not nearly as big as he was.

I think a lot of people regain some and then are able to maintain a weight that is not necessarily as slim as they'd like, but at least they can maintain it.  I've noticed Roker is in on a lot of those cooking demonstrations and tastings, etc.  That's gotta be hard on a man's diet!

[
Batwingsman
on 6/15/09 6:21 pm - Garland, TX
 Good point, Cindy ...

I remember hearing that, shortly after his "honeymoon" period ended, Al took (was put?) on a job hosting a show onThe Food Channel.   I presumed his show was going to be about how to find or prepare WLS-friendly or "diet" dishes, or at least  "healthy" stuff., but no, sadly it was just another show about gourmet big-eating  --   traveling around the world to eateries to chow down.     I was disgusted at the time, and felt like he was being a traitor to WLSers everywhere by hosting that show ..  After all, it was eating like that which got him where he was before his surgery (as did many of us) ..   Also, it seemed about as bad an idea as putting a recovering alcholoic on as host of a show about "famous drinking spots of the world", or something along those lines ..      I'm sure it challenged his new-found freedom over food all the time he was on it ..    

DCGirl26
on 6/15/09 8:10 pm - London, UK
He claims to have re-gained about 20 pounds. He says he got down to 195 after surgery and is somewhere under 220 now. He is doing a series on the Today Show called 'lose 20 with Al' in which he is working on eating and exercising for the next 10 weeks to lose 20 pounds. He had his surgery nearly 5 years ago and like the rest of us, life happened and he got a bit too comfortable. It's a good reminder to us all that surgery isn't a lifelong fix and that we have to work it just as hard as we did before surgery because regain (to some extent even and if only a very small amount) is not only possible, it's almost inevitable. 

Back on track as of 11/1/2014

341/183/263/150
HW/LW/CW/GW

Weight loss goal:
Back to Onederland by 3/26/2015

Batwingsman
on 6/15/09 8:22 pm - Garland, TX
 Thanks for the info, DC  (and good point)  ..  

Here's to Al inspiring us all once again with a "re-loss", as he did with his original WLS decision and weight loss!  

Most Active