Sublingual B12 Help

TheSingingAngel
on 1/18/10 4:25 am - MA
My nutritionist transitioned me to our surgical program's stage four diet last week, which also marks the beginning of taking vitamins/supplements. I'm doing okay with everything with the exception of my required 1000 mcg sublingual B12. My nutritionist gave me a sample of one during my appointment and I liked it, but I had already ordered a different one (Bariatric Advantage). It came yesterday and I tried it for the first time this morning. I didn't like it at all - it had no taste, it took a long, long time to dissolve, and then it had a terrible aftertaste. Worst of all, I think it made me sick - shortly after taking it, I became dizzy/nauseous and needed to lie down for 30-40 minutes.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow just to make sure that the nausea wasn't just a fluke, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for sublingual B12. I can't remember the name of the one I liked, unfortunately. It had a better taste and didn't take quite as long to dissolve. Which ones do you use? Do you know of any websites where I can look at product reviews grouped together by type?

Thanks so much!

~Jen
"Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe and enthusiastically act upon must inevitably come to pass." - Paul J. Meyer      
Heather H.
on 1/18/10 4:35 am - Northern, CA
This is what I take and they are good and dissolve fast. This link @amazon.com is for 3 bottle pack so 90 days worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Sublingual-Vitamin-Tabl ets/dp/B001GAOGEY

Nature's Bounty Sublingual Vitamin B12, 5000 mcg, 30 Tablets (Pack of 3)

Before 09/2005 BMI:57.5
After   09/2007  BMI.28.9
Now    09/2012 BMI 46.4

*My profile is public*

FastFingers ~*~
on 1/18/10 6:57 am
That's no good.  Based on their product information, this is CYANOcobalamin, which even in sublingual form, we do not readily absorb after RNY.

You need to get METHYLcobalamin,  which is a more bioavailable form of B12 that we absorb much more easily.
Methylcobalamin is harder to find in stores, but readily available at The Vitamin Shoppe and online.  Based on all of the B12 products listed on their website (which I just checked), Nature's Bounty does not sell ANY methlycobalamin B12. 

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Andrea U.
on 1/18/10 8:24 am - Wilson, NC
Hey Amy --

While it's try that methyl is better absorbing, some do absolutely fine on cyan.  Me, for example, with my 1748.

FastFingers ~*~
on 1/18/10 8:39 am
True, An.  But for newbies, I always recommend the methyl- because I never want anyone to find out the hard way that the cyano- doesn't work for them.  Since there isn't a massive difference in price, but there is a notable difference in absorption, it warrants the recommendation, IMHO.

Imagine the shock of finding out that even after taking megadoses of B12 (in cyano- form) for years, your B12 stores still tanked!  You'd be wondering WTF!!!

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

Andrea U.
on 1/18/10 9:10 am - Wilson, NC
The problem is that you've scared them.

When cyan will work in 75-80% of the people that take oral supplementation, there's not much reasoning in scaring people into not taking the cyan until they find the other -- and let's face it -- taking cyan is better than not taking anything at all.

This isn't a citrate vs. carbonate deal -- and you've already scared someone into thinking the cyan is completely worthless when it's not.

Linda V.
on 1/18/10 9:44 am - Sandy, UT
Indeed she has scared me. I thought that taking the sublingual I've been taking was better than taking nothing. Good to know I was correct in that assumption. LOL

Thanks for all of the information. I don't shop online, so I'll head out to Whole Foods after bellydance class tomorrow.

Linda

HW/303 SW/286(after liquid diet) CW/241 GW/155

Heather H.
on 1/18/10 9:25 am - Northern, CA
Thanks for pointing that out. It's very good for me and I have had a distal RNY. It brought my levels up further taking this than a shot of b12 every two weeks. You're correct in making people aware that some forms to absorb better than others. Labs should be checked every three months at a minimum for life.

Before 09/2005 BMI:57.5
After   09/2007  BMI.28.9
Now    09/2012 BMI 46.4

*My profile is public*

Formerblimpguy
on 1/18/10 9:28 am
I take this also and do fine with it, as verified by bloodwork every six months.
meochie
on 1/18/10 4:37 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Hello,  I take the GNC liquid B-12, it's cherry flavored and good.  Goes down real easy.  I hope this helps.  meochie

Most Active