What size needle for B12 injections?

_Suzy_
on 2/1/10 5:44 am - Lawrenceville, GA
This thread is making me feel faint    laugh.  I am such a baby when it comes to needles.  I guess I need get over THAT real quick eh? 

Suzy

Start Weight     309    
Surgery              301
Current               206

O M G - I am down over 100#.  

Marine_Princess81
on 2/1/10 5:49 am
I have not  started B-12 injections, the doctor here is waiting n lab work to come back. i'm not sure i i would be giving to myself or not. I'm thinking they should be similar to the diabetic needle. Short and very tiny.. probably a 32 gage?  shouldn't be to long or to big..
take care
annmarie  
vitalady
on 2/1/10 6:07 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I use IM, so 25g, 1", and the 3 ml barrel is easier to find.

Studies say IM == 100%, subcu = 80%. Some ppl do well on the subcu. My B12 level fell from 2000 to 400 in 6 months. And I have NEVER gotten it back up there, even doing daily shots for 3 months.

Some ppl can get the subcu (diabetes size) cheaper or free. I pay about 6/$1 for the ones I use at www.allegromedical.com

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

sassy1696
on 2/1/10 6:14 am - winnipeg, Canada
Im a home care nurse and we use a 21 gauge needle, 1 inch is fine.  I would go IM all the way.  We never give b12 subcutaneous.  Hope this helps.
Jane K.
on 2/1/10 6:29 am - Clinton, TN
In my experience for the first year I gave myself IM injections every 2 weeks but had to up that to once a week to get my levels where my doc and I wanted them... below 2000.   For the last 6 months I went to SC into my flabby stomach and my levels remained the same.  Noway will I go back to IM.  May just be me, but with the same levels and the ease and painless efforts of SC, that is the way I'm going.
The needles I use are 25 gauge x 1 in and don't feel them at all in the stomach.
Jane

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."  Lin Yutang

ConNew
on 2/1/10 7:16 am
RNY on 12/18/09 with
I also get faint just thinking about giving myself injections---but when you have to do it to survive--you will----before my RNY I had to get injections of Lovenox in the abdomen for 10 days before and for 30 days after (I have Factor Five Leiden--a blood clotting gene and have been on and will always be on coumadin)  Many diabetics also give themselves shots---so, if you need it you will find a way to overcome the fear---I just have my husband or daughter give them to me !! Still couldn't do it myself.
Sharyn S.
on 2/1/10 10:10 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
B12 is generally an IM injection.  The needle size should depend on location.  Use a 25 gauge 5/8" needle for the deltoid and a 25 gauge 1" or 1-1/2" in the quadricep.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

luvubrutus
on 2/1/10 11:35 am - miamisburg, OH
holy crap - does everyone use shots and not the dissolvable tablets (sublingual)?  i havent had my first set of blood tests yet post op but hope like heck i dont need shots...  my pcp said she could give me one off and on if needed but hope i dont...

rbb825
on 2/1/10 1:39 pm - Suffern, NY
The B12 bottle from the manufacturer says for IM or SC use only.  I have been giving myself injections for 10 years and have great numbers.  They used to be greater than 2000, so I had to cut back, so now I have a level of 1760. I think that is pretty great.  According to my Hematologist, primary care and NUT, there is no need to do it IM, the SC is just as good and much easier to do.  It is completely painless and  you can do it yourself.  I started out doing it in my thigh but I was bruising, so I switched to my stomach and it is much better.  It is up to you which way you do it but I highly recommend SC.

I use 29 gauge, super thin syringes. 100 - 1.0 cc single use needles = 1/2 inch.

sharonlily
on 2/1/10 1:49 pm - College Station, TX
I give myself my B12 shot in my upper thigh or hip...  The needle is really thin and long.  Some times it is easy and goes right in and other times I feel like it takes forever and just will NOT break the skin!  but somehow I get thru it every time.  I give mine IM because that's how my surgeon told me I should be doing it.
~*~Sharon    
Most Active